Phantom Empire Low Cost Project

JimK

Hey Gang,

Here is another quick movie star robot low cost project. Thanks to Sparkrobots suggestion I looked a little closer at the Phantom Empire robots. I wanted to add a little more detail then the Philippine wood figures being sold on EBAY. It seems that there where a few different versions of these robots. But I settled on this one. He is all wood construction. All from scrap in the garage. I did brake down and buy a can of hammered texture paint for this one so the cost of this build is 3.99.

As I was building this little guy I got to wondering what might have happened to the original costumes? There had to be several of them sitting around. I also wondered if these where the first skirted robots. If not I bet that they where the first Mini-skirted robots. Anyway thanks for looking.

JimK

post-769-1259354216.jpg

post-769-1259354232.jpg

post-769-1259354249.jpg

post-769-1259354282.jpg

post-769-1259354299.jpg

Excellent work, as always Jim, I think you have a "Cottage Industry" brewing here! I did notice that your version has a decidedly happier smile than the original did...happy is good. ^_^

Thanks TP,

Actually that is one of the variations. Some had the straight mouth and some had the smile. I liked the smile. The other main variations where the controls on the chest, Some had both a small panel and a large panel. and others had just the small panel.

JiimK

Not a robot a particularly care for (too low budget)

This from a guy that dumpster dives for raw material !! :P I know what you mean Andy. The aesthetics just are not there. It's funny what the concept of a robot was during this period. Basically taking a human form and making it rigid to denote a mechanical being, then adding a Fedora to give it human characteristics . The story line is amazing,,,mixing Sci-Fi with Gene Autry cowboys !! Talk about crossover ,,,cross dresser whatever. I think they got the idea from the Iron Fireman .... Jim, you have got to love that hammertone paint.

Archived