Marx Electric Robot Repair

mike van

When this guy came out of the box, absolutly nothing worked - no vital signs, period. Not one to leave something broken, he hit the O.R. Simple to take apart, 4 tabs & 2 wound springs. The motor was really hard to turn, so that came apart too. In the photo [if it loads] you can see the motor, the 2 curved bars coming out with the magnet between them form the field, one had come unglued and was sticking to the armature. Easy fix with 2 part epoxy. The wire to the morse code buzzer was off & needed to be resoldered. In the head, the "eyes" screw in against a metal plate, the plate had come undone, and was just rattling around. The 2 halves of the head are glued [quite well], I think you would wreck it trying to seperate them. Working through his eye sockets, I was able to get the plate back on the two pins & re- epoxy it there. The "antennae" wouldn't stay up, a rubber wheel in the head turns against it. The rubber has dried & shrunk with age, a narrow strip of friction tape was glue to the wheel working from an opening in the neck. 40 years of lint & dust were removed with a little Armor-all, it worked well & left a little gloss on the finish. Added 2 new bulbs for eyes, those were shot also. Before sewing him back up, gave it all a try. The contacts had all become tarnished, cleaned these by draging a strip of 600 grit cloth between them. All back together, operation was a sucess, forward, reverse, eyes, morse code, all working - I am missing the "drawer" in his front - If anyone knows of one, please let me know. Worst part of this is, the guy didn't even have insurance -

post-2-1077413171.jpg

Make sure you save the origional white globe eye lights if you have them. they are a collectable , and the robot will display better with them.

:) Mike, I seem to find these Marx robots with the on -off switch not working. Does just spraying electrical contact cleaner and moving the switch back and forth help on these, or is there another fix? Also, exactly which way do the batteries load? I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know how they go! Thanks, -larry seven

Larry, I have both batteries in with the + showing where the lid closes. You can turn them both around if the fwd. rev. switch works the wrong way. I tried one battery + in and one - in, one battery really heated up. I never used that contact cleaner, I'm not sure it won't "eat" any of the plastic...... some of these switch parts are copper, some brass, I think you get the best cleaning if you can actually shine up the metal. Mike Van

:rolleyes: Mike, thanks for the help with battery position! And, thanks for the tech help with repairing robots in general. The other robot forums on the net are not much into actually talking about robots! -larry seven

Yes the electric robot runs on 1.5 volts . Batterys were so crapy back then that they used 2 D cell batterys in parallel to get more currnt and run time. So never but one battery in the opposite direction, you are just shorting ou the batterys. Cleaning the contacts is better than sprays, use a 400 grit sand paper or steel wool to get a shinny contact surface.

• Brian.. changed the title to Marx Electric Robot Repair

Archived