Rotate-o-matic Repair

Papatoad

I bought this guy off of ebay in non working order. I put batteries in him and gave his main gear a little push and he sprang to life. Whilst he will shoot and rotate he does not walk. Against my better judgement I took him apart. I have a little experince with this and was not too worried. Usually the gear driving the legs is a little off or broken. This was not the case. The gears on top of the legs seem to have a flat spot. He now will walk in air but not on ground. I keep looking at him to see if there is an EZ way to take the gears out of the top of his legs but. Having not delt with this problem before I am a little nervous.

Before I go further. Is this feasable? Or should I just put him back on the shelf?

I will now attempt a picture. We have a new computer with new photo shop and I just don't understand it.

Nice picture but I dont see the flat spots you were talking about , looks like a normal worm gear drive to me. I have attched your picture.

You might take apart a cheep china Space walk man, robot 2000 and see if the gears look the same, if so then you have a source for the repair work for very few bucks.

I do have to say that normaly when they stop walking it is not this gear set that goes bad it is the brass drive gear and flat roto drive gears that lose there teath, these are the gears where the body rotates.

post-2-1077379613.jpg

Yes, the space walkmans are an excellent source of parts. The gears appear to match. I am not sure I want to do it before I am sure this is the problem. The flat gears on the waist have all their teeth. The brass gear is a little rounded on the bottom but does not appear affected by this. It turns the waist gear with no problems. This is what causes me to believe that it is the "worm gear".

I have more pictures but as I have said. It is very difficult for me to do right now. I had my wife post it for me. I will try to load more pictures and locate the alleged flat spot. Thanks John

I'm not able to open the "down load attchment" picture, the posting shows that I have tried several times with its counter but no pictutre. :huh:

John, I am able to send pictures through email. So I mailed you one. Unable to get a clear shot of worm gear. Let me know what you think. Thanks Glen

Thanks for the offer Robert. But as of now I am still trouble shooting him. I didn't get a chance to play with him today but I am starting to suspect that the gears are not lining up or are spinning on the shaft. I miss my old house where I had a great work bench set up for this sort of stuff. Now I have to wrap him up and tuck him away till I get a free moment which seems to get further and farther between.

I have some robotic dogs I swiped from the kids which are excellent gear providers and a few space walkmans. I tore one apart just to examine it. Now working on my Space Astronaut I am really excited. But I've reached a point where my inexperience is starting to show. I want to say thanks for all the help and advice I've gotten so far. I've got a lot robots that need a little tweeking and I intend to go through them all. But not today. Thanks :)

Archived