New Raygun Sculptures

Gibsart

Here are a couple of new rayguns I've knocked together from pieces of a broken chair and bits of scrap timber.I think the copper paint sets them off quite nicely. Greetings to all, cheers, Gib.

post-958-1258489907.jpg

post-958-1258489943.jpg

Pretty spiffy, Gib, but they look incomplete to me. I think they need some detail work or metal trim or something to make them pop. That's just my humble opinion of course. ;)

Now you have done it!!!! I am going to be hauling old broken chairs home now. I am not sure if the wife will survive my unemployment, but I am actually starting to look forward to it with all of these new ideas to try.

Gib, the guns do look awesome and are a fantastic new idea. But like Andy mentioned A few details would really help make them pop. Maybe some rivits, or knobs, maybe a front site, stuff like that. The fins and grips are very nicely done.

JimK

Well I'm glad they're appreciated, perhaps I should have added an artist's statement with them though. They are meant to be ambiguous artifacts with some mysterious origin and purpose, perhaps excavated from an archeological site. I am in the middle of making another one from a broken table leg which will have the same sort of finish. Gib

Is the new one from the table leg going to be a hand gun or a long gun? How did you come up with this furniture leg idea? It seems so obvious now but I never saw it until you posted your guns. Keep up the good work and keep posting. I can't wait to see the next one.

JimK

Thanks for the feedback everyone.If you check out my toy raygun sculptures posted here a while back you'll see they're all based on either chair legs or banister staves .These are things I've found dumped in skips or driftwood.The turned timber just seemed to be asking to be used for wacky gun barrels to me.I made three guns from one banister stave by picking the appropriate place to cut it.The gun I'm making now is based on the left over piece of table leg that I used to make the blue space pistol with the orange barrel.The gun I'm working on is going to probably end up like a small sten gun or sawn off shotgun.The handles and fins etc. are just cut from scraps of ply or timber left over from other projects.They're pretty simple to make and I always make them sturdy enough to withstand rough handling by kids even though my kids are well past the age where they'd play with toy guns. Hope this helps anyone interested in having a go at making a wooden raygun. Cheers, Gib

Once again I have to say well done and thanks for a fantastic new idea. I am all about the low cost projects. I am also on the look out for old chair legs and banisters.

JimK

Archived