The Door Man Gear Robot Conversion

robothut

The doors would require me to use two nano servos to open and close them as the mechanics of a gear robot do not provide any means to control the doors. I used mini flex shaft material too conect the servos to the doors as it can bend and yet push and pull the doors.

post-7-1258170343.jpg

Inside the head I placed a slow RPM gear motor that controls two mico switches, the micro switches control the servo motors to open and close the doors. The robot still operates on 2 D cell batterys.

post-7-1258170482.jpg

John, magnificent as always.

I suppose you intended the face of the smoker to mimic the torso 'eyes' and 'mouth' on the donor doors???? Hmmmm...very clever. B)

Great colour and that head gives him that look of "Don't mess with me"! Wonderful

hi! He's so smooth!I like the color!! By the way i have a youtube username called spiritgirl2796 . I have a few robot videos on my account i uploaded it today.

Thanks for the kind comments! I think it turned out realy well! I know the angle of the camera makes some of the pictures looke like the legs are too short for the robot and other shoots they look fine, it is just a camera trick the robot looks great in person and the action is very smooth. I like seeing the alternatly flashing gear lights shinning threw the door windows, it lets you know that something very cool is inside even before they open.

John thanks for another amzing project. I wish Metal House could have followed through with my creative concept ! They have to do something to stimulate their sales , and work on pricing. Thanks again.

Metal house would never do it like I did useing servos as a 1 off project but they could have used there DINO gear box as that would have given them a Stop & Go feature and the linkage that used to open the dino head could have been used to open the doors. The only real problem would have been driveing the gears as they drive the gears comes from the walking gear drive section and that section would stop when the doors open. I don't think they would want to make a custom gear box just for a single door robot type toy as it would cost too much for the hard tooling.

Awesome, John! Just awesome. What a cool robot you have built. You always demonstrate a continued love and joy for coming up with these amazing custom robots that always keeps us in love with this hobby. Thanks!! ;)

Archived