New Direction....

Grandpa

With Andyman starting his Brass phase and Eagle's metal forming and JimK's new creations, I've decided to start a new phase of metal robots. They will be mostly cnc machined with some found parts added. Stay tuned for the progress :rolleyes: Here is a picture of a aluminum billet that I just squared up and surfaced to start the first body section.

post-242-1257815211.jpg

Here is another progress photo. This is hard to photograph because the machine marks give it a prism effect, which I think is great and I don't plan on buffing out on this guy. It still needs more work, but it's coming along. I think I'll name him Prismatic .... <_<

post-242-1257898339.jpg

I am with you on this one. I like the marks left by the machining. The face details are awesome. Is it still solid, or has t been hollowed out by the CNC? No matter which, he is very cool.

JimK

Jim,

It is still solid, I have just machined .05" off for the detail. I really wish I could get a better picture so you can see the real detail. The finish is really as smooth as glass and is not rough at all.

I spent today working on the CAD drawings for the arms, legs and feet. I have the arms converted to "G" Code for the cnc lathe so I may turn those tonight.

To answer Eagle, these will be static non walkers. They are made of solid machined aluminum billets that are not being hollowed out or lightened so they will be heavy.

I spent today working on the CAD drawings for the arms, legs and feet. I have the arms converted to "G" Code for the cnc lathe so I may turn those tonight.

Very Cool Grandpa, As you can tell we are chomping at the bit for the next installment.

JimK

Very Cool Grandpa, As you can tell we are chomping at the bit for the next installment.

JimK

Did a few more things today, nothing special to report. Will have more time this weekend to maybe finish it up.

Did a few more things today, nothing special to report. Will have more time this weekend to maybe finish it up.

Very cool, can't wait to see the progress.

JimK

I changed direction on the body. It is bead blasted to a fine satin finish and then it is selective polished to a high sheen for contrast of the machined detail. The arms need more work and the legs still need to be finished, maybe tomorrow.......

post-242-1258253083.jpg

Archived