Here Is Another One

JimK

This was an easy one. A quick addition to my movie star robot collection. Ths is GORT from the Mysterious Dr. Satan films. I would like to thank John at the Robot Hut for the very detailed pictures that he has posted. without them I would not have had the inspiration for the last few projects that I have done. The total cost of this one is 2.20 for a chunk of PVC.

JimK

post-769-1257711209.jpg

post-769-1257711231.jpg

THAT ROBOT CAME OUT REALLY COOL!! Can you please elaborate more on how you made him? Like the rivets, stuff like that. By the way they did use that Robot in various Movie Serials, one being The Undersea kingdom.

But isn't Gort the name of the robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?

Andy, Yes but this pre-dates that Gort by 15-20 years or so.

Brainwave, sorry, this one was so simple that I didn't bother with build shots. Let's see here, the body is made of a piece of PVC pipe. The dome on top is plastic (it was actually a test windshield for the Robby jeep I made). The shoulders, chest piece, claws and feet are made of wood. The arms are parts from a ceiling fan light kit that I had sitting around with 45 caliber shell casings on the end. The legs are 45 caliber shell casings top and bottom with some kind of door spring section for knees. The rivets are easy but time consuming. They are simply just drops of glue added with a tooth pick before the last coat of paint.

JimK

Very cool, Jim!

But are they both named Gort? I think that's what Andy was asking... Your original post refers to the robot as Gort, hence the curiosity. ;)

Very cool, Jim!

But are they both named Gort? I think that's what Andy was asking... Your original post refers to the robot as Gort, hence the curiosity. ;)

Doc,

As far as I know they are both named Gort. I do not remember first hand but from what I have read this is the case. Here is the picture that I went by from Robot Hut. In the naritive John mentions the name also.

JimK

post-769-1257779057.jpg

Fantastic figure Jim! I read how you did the details, but is that just spray chrome paint, or did you use foil for the finish, it looks like a diecast piece. :huh:

Fantastic figure Jim! I read how you did the details, but is that just spray chrome paint, or did you use foil for the finish, it looks like a diecast piece. :huh:

Nope, not that complicated. It is just a satin aluminum spray pain that I had left over from another project. The foil idea sounds kinda cool though.

JimK

Nope, not that complicated. It is just a satin aluminum spray pain that I had left over from another project. The foil idea sounds kinda cool though.

JimK

I have used a thin foil tape sold in metal supply shops and used in duct work. It is very easy to form and adheres well to just about any surface. I bought a roll for about $5, pretty great stuff, and if you don't use it all, it has lots of household applications as well.

Jim,,,,,,I love that robot,Fantasic job!!!,,,,,,,imagine a small tin working version,,that would be something else! Then a short run production of the prototype :o

John Rigg,Over to you? Only joking John I know you are a busy man.

When you have time though :huh: I'm being 'cheeky' now :D

I think this ebay shop Builderscience used to sell a version of this robot..Not 100% sure though?

I will give a link to that shop anyway because he does sell a few 'quirky' robot/sci-fi models that are worth a look.Plus you might see a robot you could make a version of.

Maybe this one? A Muraniian Robot from Phantom Empire.

Here's the link and a picture of his Muranian robot model.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/BUILDERSCIEN...634Q2ec0Q2em322

post-540-1257863057.jpg

Hey Thanks Spark. That is a very cool EBAY store. I do not know how much the exchange rate is but they make some very nice stuff. But most of all thanks for Phantom Empire Robot. Yet another that I forgot to put on my movie star robot list.

JimK

Archived