1954 - ST-1 Robot By Strenco, Germany

Fineas J. Whoopie

Hi all.

Agent F.J. "scan-n-post" W. here for Joe "timeline" Knedlhans.

This time Joe has acquired a 1955 catalog with a very important sighting of the Strenco ST-1 robot.

As far as we can remember this is the only known catalog sighting of an ST-1 from any date, and it confirms

the 1955 date from a press release posted by Gernot. Perhaps Joe could post a link to that thread.

Nice catch Joe!

post-143-1256773154.jpg

post-143-1256773178.jpg

post-143-1256773202.jpg

post-143-1256773224.jpg

Here's a link from January 2004 that contains Gernot's Press Release photo and John's ST-1 with the switch (and FJW's recently acquired, minty example) :

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...0robot&st=0

And this post, showing a slightly different switch:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...l=strenco+robot

A couple things about this Krebs catalog sighting. The picture shows an original key. It mentions that the robot is made of aluminum. Of course, that's not correct, but I can see how the silver paint job could be mistaken for that.

Thanks, Don. Give my best to the rest of the "scan-n-post" team! ;)

DON - GREAT FIND INDEED!!

Sorry - its me with the ST1 fotograph from 1955. But maybe you mixed it up - because it was the proof also for GERNOTS fantastic red ST1 as you see in the back - the red/ black footed ST1 robots....

So we have at least a second proof on that date - very very nice indeed!!

(P.S. Have a look at that very early date in 1955 - I guess he was already completed in 1954. You see also the version with the cart - in the background...)

post-11-1256852772.jpg

post-11-1256852914.jpg

• 6 years later...

From Dirk's post:

The first appearance of the ST1 was already 1954. Everybody knows my press released picture from 1955. Doctor Schwarz from the Nuremberg toy Museum was kind enough (...for another time) to dig out this article from the german toy magazine "DAS SPIELZEUG" dated 15.March 1954. And I can also add another press Foto from the Nuremberg Toy Fair dated March 1954. This is the date, when the ST1 was shown the first time to the public. Its very easy to see, that the ST1 appears as a prototype here in 1954...

1954 Press Photo 103.JPG

1954 Press Photo 101a.JPG

1954 Press Photo 101b.JPG

Edited by Dirk  

• 1 year later...

The dated photo above, March 15, 1954, confirms the date of this German Toy Fair film by British Movietone News:

and this screen grab from same:

strenco st1 1954 toy fair.JPG

Don't blink or you'll miss it!

• 1 year later...

Another ST-1 Robot catalog sighting, this time in a Toys & Novelties catalog from Jenneal Toys, Inc.

1956 jenneal toys cat cov.jpg1956 jenneal toys cat int.jpg

The photo shows a version with the spark aperture and the rear leg "winglets".

1956 jenneal toys cat int cu.jpg1956 jenneal toys cat int cu 2.jpg

There is no date on the cover, but on the page opposite ST-1 is a listing for a 1956 Ford Station Wagon friction toy.

The BIN listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Toy-Catalog-Games-Puzzles-Wood-Pull-Toys-Tops-Dolls-Tea-Sets-J921/132508839428?hash=item1eda246e04:g:xUEAAOSwPXBafzZw

• 3 years later...