Yet Another Lo Cost Project Started

JimK

Jim, you got me into my archives in the model room to dig up an old piece I started in 1984 or '85 when the small Masudaya was issued. Thanks to you I'll have to get rolling on this again. I originally had the louvres on the front a few times but wasn't pleased with how they looked. Drew up my own blueprints from the Beta video and other source material I had in print at that time as to the size relation of the details, long before the internet.

Great work Jim in such a short time. Mine is made of DAS modelling clay on top of a 1949 Ford AMT styrene car kit with Corporal Klinger and GI Joe buddy, rolls well too!

Can't wait to see your finished product.

post-298-1256774787.jpg

post-298-1256776623.jpg

Morbius,

Very nice start. You should try to complete it if you have the time. It will look fantastic. I didn't have any plans or drawings. I just went off of the pictures of the robot hut site and just eye balled it for the most part. I have never been good with fractions and measurements. So I just work until it looks like it fits. I am almost ready to paint, then see if I can find a cheap RC car at Wal Mart to fit under it.

JimK

Thanks Jim for the encouragement! It's got 25 years of dust on it... I was much younger when I began this and I wonder if I'll be done in the next 25 but I'll try to get the job done. B)

Took me months of reworking things, sanding and rebuiding and you just pound the thing out in an evening! Sometimes building is like that when the idea strikes, sort of like Richard Dreyfuss' potatoes in Close Encounters, that's the way I built things back then but like the Krell, a lot of it has crumbled over the years back to the earth without a trace.

Oops....looks like it hit a mailbox.... :glare:

post-298-1256783996.jpg

Well I think that it looks good. I am sure that you can complete it. If you are going to continue with the clay, you can make the louvers with a hand crank pasta machine and a cookie cutter. They will look good.

I wanted a Robby Transport but the tin ones are way out of my range and even the newer released ones are a bit expensive. So like my Gandfather use to say "If ya can't buy one, build one". It will not be perfect but close enough for me!

JimK

Well guys,

Here is the basics of the jeep. Over all I am pleased. I put wheels on the bottom of it until I can manage to get a remote control car to scrounge parts from. I am not sure that I like the seats. I think that I can do better so they are not glued in yet. But for the most part this is it.

JimK

post-769-1257344239.jpg

post-769-1257344261.jpg

Thanks for all of the kind comments guys. I like the way this one came out. But as usual if I stay still too long reality starts to creep in and we can't have any of that. So I did what I always do....I started another low cost project. Updates to follow soon.

JimK

I forgot to mention that the cost of this project was about 10.00. A little more than my other projects but still considered a low cost I would say. I like to try to keep them under 5.00 if I can.

Thanks again

JimK

Great job on the jeep, Jim. I can't believe what you can do with scrap parts, imagination and a lot of work. The dollar store builders are proud of you. :D

Archived