Yet Another Lo Cost Project Started

JimK

Hey Guys,

Thanks to Andys suggestion and Mr. Riggs inspiration I have started another low cost project. I was a tad bit bummed out last night for personal reasons and could not sleep so I was looking on the internet. In order to stay away from the bad places out there on the net I started looking at the robot sites I had in my favorites. I was looking at the Robot Hut site like I always do and got to looking at the full scale Robby transport that John had made. Then Andys suggestion of making more toys hit me. Just that day I had brought my Robby home from work and figured “how hard could it be?” Well I got to scrounging in the garage, cutting here measuring there, glue everywhere and got a fairly good jump on it. I did keep the dog up all night with me but she will forgive me I am sure. None of the vents are glued up yet, they are just sort of sitting there but you can get the idea. I hope to find a way to put some RC car works under it so that it will do something. Maybe I can build a small scale mail box to run it in to (if you don’t get that joke go watch the videos at the Robot Hut site). The transport is 17" long and 6.50" wide. The robby is 10.50" tall (I think). He is one of the modern Robby banks. So far the cost of the build is one sleepless night and 3-4 dog treats.

Anyway, as always suggestions and critiques are welcome.

JimK

post-769-1256227734.jpg

post-769-1256227742.jpg

What Andy said. I do my best work when I'm not sleeping. This might be your future ! John was and still is my inspiration and aspiration . Wouldn't it be cool to have a Alphadrome store . Kind of like an online antique/craft show for builders. Keep up the good work , keep faith in yourself and your friends.

Keep up the good work! The Jeep has a lot of parts that make it very time consuming to build. I do my best work at night <_< If anyone is interested, Polar Lights is offering the second edition of the 12" Roby plastic kits. So this could open up several options for builders.

Looking good Jim. It usually takes two months for people to recognize what I am building. It only took one night and it already looks great :P

Jim, that's absolutely super!! :wub: Maybe your best work so far. Yes, I definitely want to follow the progress on this one, keep plugging away!

Hey Guys,

There has been a little progress on the project. Not much but a little. I have the vents clued up and put some primer on them to help me see what needs to be cleaned up (and it is a lot). I also started on the windshields and windshield supports. I did a little more sanding and filling of seams on the body also. That is about it. I did “find” some plastic here at work that I think will work good for the seats. Maybe this weekend I can get to those.

JimK

post-769-1256651372.jpg

post-769-1256651366.jpg

Jim, Here is a couple of pictures of the seats I made using .090" acrylic and formed them over a wood mold with a heat gun. I have a drawing if you need it.

post-242-1256685948.jpg

Grandpa,

That looks really nice. When did you make it? I would really like to see the drawing if you wouldn't mind. I have just been making this up as I go along looking at the Robot Hut pictures. I planned on forming the seats just like you described. I guess great minds think alike. I have to say that your vents are much nicer than mine. What paints did you use.

Thanks

JimK

Jim, I made two sizes of the jeep that were remote controlled. I was able to acquire a copy of the studio drawings for the jeep and spent "MANY" hours converting and scaling them so I could laser cut all of the parts out of acrylic. I used Hot Rod primer and clear coated it with three coats of satin clear.

Here is a link to a picture of the finished smaller jeep Visit My Website

You can contact me from that link as well to send your email address so I can send you the drawing for the seats. The drawing will be in Corel format, you can download a 30 day evaluation copy of Corel draw to view and print the file.

Grandpa,

I just sent you an e-mail. The site looks good and that jeep is fantastic. Your talent and imagination is an awesome thing to see.

Thanks again

JimK

Archived