Rudy The Robot Drawing

kennetzel

It seems to have become a habit with me, when I get a new Robot I draw him. I haven't gotten him running yet, but he drew up well. Looks brand new. It's funny though...in Corel, I used an orange red, close to the actual color. But during the export process, apparently it is a color my computer can't duplicate in a jpeg and it looks more like a berry red. I just wish it was possible to post the actual Corel art, they look a lot better than the jpeg exports.

post-125-1254429245.jpg

WOW! That looks super! So... When you get a new robot, you render its image in Corel Draw? Maybe I'll give it a try. I usually work in Photoshop, but I've been hearing good things about the most recent version of Corel Draw.

Incidentally, my CAT edited this post.

I use Photoshop mainly to work with photographs. I have never rendered in Photoshop. I have done actual airbrushing in the past, and it seems to me, to render in Photoshop, it works similarly to that. Corel is interesting. There are various methods to do shapes. You don't just draw the head and add shading. You draw the head bit by bit. Each feature is a seperate object. Once the shape is drawn and put where you want it, you go through their shading or color selections and fill that shape. They have lots of standard shading formats which I used to use a lot. But all my knowledge in Corel is self taught, so recently I learned how to customize the shading patterns, how to use the glass tool and lenses, all in the past year. And each of those techniques alone adds a lot to my drawing. Below is a pic of Rudy's head taken apart piece by piece so you can see what I mean as far as composition of an object is. All these little pars are just in his head...they have to be shaped, colored, shaded and placed...on the proper layer or they would end up behind an object instead of on top, so all in the right order to created just ONE piece of this image. So you can see, every component of the image is a seperate part, or image unto itself. Lot of work...good thing I enjoy it.

post-125-1254477648.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes, Nikola, it is quite complex. Like I said, you just don't draw a head and color it in. It has to be composed bit by bit. Andy, I appreciate the compliment. My wife keeps telling me that...that I see things a lot of people don't...the attention to detail. The hardest part of Rudy was his shoulders...that round piece with the rounded notches and the cylinders put in place like bolts. In Corel, your object you draw is either in front or behind an object. The parts that are in the notches had to be infront of the shoulder, so I had to draw the bolt, cutting off the end and coutouring it to the outer edge of the notch to make it look like it is in between the edges. Thanks guys for taking an interest. It gives me a chance to explain what I do. I mean, after seeing all these parts in just Rudy's head, you can imagine how many little parts makes up the Battlestr Galactica I posted in the Off Topic section. Take a peek at that. And I added drawings of the Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider I did.

Archived