Another Low Cost Project Started

JimK

Hey gang.

I just completed the low cost wooden robot build from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, so I thought that I would give making the ray gun from the same movie a try. I know that they sell the resin kits for these but the toy budget will not allow for such things these days. Besides just think of all the fun I would be missing out on. So far the cost of this build is $0,00. I had the scrap wood in the garage and just started cutting. It has been a while since I have done any carving but it came back to me just like riding a bike. And I still have all of my fingers. What do ya think so far.

JimK

post-769-1252178842.jpg

post-769-1252178854.jpg

I'd say that's a fine piece of whittling you got there. And no blood stains! Can't wait to see the end product.

So, do you whistle and tell stories of long ago when you whittle? ;)

So, do you whistle and tell stories of long ago when you whittle? ;)

Ya know that I do. I have to. It is a state law I believe. The good thing is that there is no law that says anyone has to stay and listen to them! :o)

Put a sealer on the gun today. Should be ready for primer tomorrow I hope.

JimK

Jim, you never cease to amaze me, you are on the right track. I have a reproduction of the original prop gun that was made shortly after the movie came out. It is cast of resin with a clear red emitter on the end of the barrel. I wish I had a photo of it because it was a dead on copy. However, it is packed away so all of this is fairly moot. :blink: Are you going to add the rivets that ran along the plates in the gun's top surface? I'm sure small metal brads would do the trick.

Thanks guys,

Fin, yes, I just started carving from scratch. Using screen captures to go by. Should be close enough to pass I think.

TP, Yes I put the rivets. The gun is about done. I got it painted and am waiting for it to dry so I can touch up the places I messed up (I am a lousy painter). I plan to post pictures of it this weekend when I get my camera back if all goes well. I saw a resin model of this gun on E-BAY for about 40.00. Which is out of reach for me right now. Besides it is static just like mine so why spend the cash. the only thing is that it had cool pilots wings from the movie with it that I would like to have, but what can ya do. I would like to see you gun if you ever dig it out. It sounds very cool.

Oh ya, total cost for this build.......$1.69 for copper color paint. Pictures to follow soon.

JimK

Cool pictures. I may have to change my colors a bit though. It is hard to tell from the screen shots what the colors are. Especially the handle part. Some times it looks white and sometimes it looks silver and sometimes gray.

JimK

Hey Gang,

Well here is the completed gun. It looks much better in person. The flash from the camera tends to show my lack of painting talent which you would tend to look past in person. But I think that it is a fair representation

JimK

post-769-1252938218.jpg

post-769-1252938240.jpg

Darn fine job Jim! It looks better than you think. We tend to be more critical of our work than others, don't be so hard on yourself, it looks great.

Archived