Phil R Collection

Phil R

My name is Phil Redman from York, Pennsylvania USA. Most of you know me as Phil R. Originally I signed up years ago as Scifiman. My reasoning was that I collected the full gamut of space including robots, space toys, plastic space, ray guns and paper space collectibles. I was generally inactive for about 2 years and had some problems with the Scifiman name and changed it to a more conservative Phil R, copying Joe K. 😄 i studied advertising and graphic arts and fine arts in college. Over the years I've worked for advertising agencies, corporations and for York Barbell Company in York from 1974-1998 as advertising manager working on publishing, advertising, shows.

Some of you also know that I have been restoring antique advertising and toys since 1980 and have made that avocation my vocation from 1998 to present. In addition Mark Logan (Eagle) and I have collaborated on projects for the past few years.

My philosophy as a collector since the 1970s has been to buy what I can afford without my family sacrificing too much in the process. This was especially true when my wife spent 13 years away from her outside job making sure our daughter got her personal attention. I think that worked out well. Our daughter Jennifer has a Master's degree in social work and works every day with women less fortunate. I also am a new grandparent for the first and probably only time. You've probably seen the photo of Abigail with robots.

My collection consists of good space toys and robots, reproductions, a plastic space collection, ray guns old and new, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, a lot of paper items and books, new creations and a lot of original boxes for the toys packed away, with boxes and boxes of newer robots and space toys.

My wife and I also have collected Planters Peanut items(mine) Popeye(wife Connie) , holiday items, and Disney(Jennifer). I also had a large collection of comics(about 50 boxes now reduced to about 15). It's been a great ride! 🙂

post-221-1251663755.jpgbuck_and_flash1.jpg

robots__space_corner1.jpg

robots_space_corner2.jpg

space_and_robots_old1.jpg

post-221-1251663782.jpg

post-221-1251663799.jpg

post-221-1251663832.jpg

WOW What a wonderful collection you have. So many cool looking Robots and Ray guns. I see we have a Red Thunder in the background. :)

The collection's looking great, Phil! I love your ray guns, of course, but I'm also really impressed with the way you've got all your plastic space cars displayed.

You've got a great, varied, eclectic group of toys -- wonderful stuff! Thanks for posting.

Phil, wow, really neat stuff. I see a lot of familiar items, and the ray guns are great. I have a particular appreciation for the last photo, the home made art pieces. I especially love that big Buck Rogers space ship in the case. Could you post a good shot of that one and give some background on it? Again, really nice. :)

Andy, always the kidder, I think! :D TP, Eagle and I have collaborated on a number of projects including my favorite Buck Rogers. If you check back posts be sure to look for the dollar store robot projects and other custom robots. The Buck rocket is painted wood and metal and 22" set in a diorama of a moon of Mars. Also the Martian project among others.

post-221-1251811029.jpg

post-221-1251811092.jpg

post-221-1251811126.jpg

I just love the Martian Invader full size with the pics of the G.I Joes and tank in battle. Both are one very cool looking picture. :) I just love seeing Robots with other Hobbies together.

Great shots Phil, thanks. BTW, in the Martian Invader photo, I'm really impressed with the two large scale human figures behind it...really well done, they look so lifelike! ;) Seriously though, just for my edification, as I'm not a long time member of the club, which one is you and which is Eagle? :unsure:

Archived