Start Of Another Low Cost Project

JimK

Hey Guys,

It seems that with my wifes job being outsourced, a ticket from one of our local PD, and my daughter starting yet another year of college there has been almost no toy budget at all lately. I am even going to miss out on the Alphabot project. Oh well what can ya do? So instead of crying about it, I remembered Eagle making a very cool wood version of one of Grandpas robots. So I went out to the garage and picked out a few chunks of wood I had sitting around and started cutting. So far all I have is a bunch of pieces. But if you put them together in just the right way they start to look like something. I am trying to get all of the parts cut and figured out, and then I will go in for the shaping and detail. It is a start. Part of my collection has taken on a bit of a Movie Star Robot theme so see if you can guess which movie this guy is from.

JimK

post-769-1251131574.jpg

post-769-1251131615.jpg

Jim, it's one of the evil giant robots from "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"! The greatest untapped source of completely cool retro robot designs in recent years. I hoped upon hope that someone would make toy robots from this, but so far only a handful of Atomizer ray guns have surfaced. :( Now that I've completed my tirade, I hope I was correct. :blush:

Jim, it's one of the evil giant robots from "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"! The greatest untapped source of completely cool retro robot designs in recent years. I hoped upon hope that someone would make toy robots from this, but so far only a handful of Atomizer ray guns have surfaced. :( Now that I've completed my tirade, I hope I was correct. :blush:

And we have a winner!!!!!! Very good eye TP. I was watching Sky Capt. last week and started grabbing screen caps. I figured "how hard can it be" . There has been some progress and I hope to put up some updated photos this week. I agree on the toy situation for this movie. The only other toy that I have seen is the airplane. It is a shame because there are so many features in it that would make very cool toys. Thanks all for playing.

JimK

post-769-1251297304.jpg

Hey Gang,

Well here is a little update. Most of the easy stuff is done. Now it is on to the paint and details. Got a few bugs to work out also. It seems that some how one leg ended up about 1/8" longer than the other. The wife says it is typical male measuring...if I think it is 6" it is most likely closer to 3". Not sure what she meant by that! Any way I will figure it out before final assembly.

Andy, I love this movie as well. I watch it often.

JimK

post-769-1251375608.jpg

post-769-1251375619.jpg

Coming along nicely JimK. Certainly one of the more under appreciated movies recent times. Though they did borrow a little too heavily from the old Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Roger

Hey Jim, I just got a great idea (yes, we all know that means trouble)...since you already have the wood blanks fleshed out, why don't you make castings from them? Metal would be cool, but even resin robots would be great, they don't have to be poseable. I know I'd buy one! Great job!

TP,

I thought about that before I started assembly. However I know nothing about mold making or casting. Besides I am not sure that my work would be up to a lot of others standards. However, that being said, when I get him done, if you or someone else would like to borrow him to make molds, I am good with that. Just let me know. Dissassembly would not be too hard or just make a full size mold I guess. He will stand right about11". Send me a PM and we can discuss it if you want.

JimK

Here he is in gray primer. The arms and legs are assembled but the rest is not glued up yet. Still trying to figure out the paint.

post-769-1251677731.jpg

Well, whatever your decision Jim, it looks awesome, I can't wait to see the finished product. BTW, any chance you will continue on to make all the other robots from the movie? There must have been about ten of them.

Thanks Guys. Not sure if I will make any of the other robots, but ya never know. Next I plan to try and make the ray gun that Dex made. Then we will see. The long arm robots would be a good project but the little flying worker robots might be tough. I will have to look at them again.

JimK

Jim, you know, I forgot to ask...where did you pull the blueprints for the robot from? Was that a screen shot? They look very clear and detailed.

Archived