First Alphabot Kit Is Completed!

Andyman

John was kind enough to select me as one of the "beta builders" of the two remaining Alphabot kits. I think anyone with intermediate skill levels or that anyone with basic soldering skills will have no problems assembling this bad boy. My free time was limited so it took about three nights to build it. I could have easily done it in a day. Well, outside the paint drying time. I didn't use filler on the resin parts so you'll see some pock marks on the claws. I was too eager to finish it so I'll attend to those later. I gave my report to John for future build instructions so more details will come out then. Once the other "beta builder" reports in we can finalize the kit set and build instructions. Now to work on the box.

Here's a video of it in action. Alphabot video.

Sorry, no color correction.

post-231-1250356713.jpg

post-231-1250356720.jpg

post-231-1250356725.jpg

post-231-1250356731.jpg

You are the perfect test builder for this kit. He really looks great!!!! This is one bot that looks good no matter what the color choice.

Looks great! I like the washers around the eyes, and the larger (are they larger?) eye bulbs. The bare rivets are great looking, too.

Well done!

Beautiful job building this great robot, Andy! But I would expect nothing less from you. LOL!! :D I really think this Alphadrome design project was just amazing in every detail. From the very first drafts of the logo years ago right up to this DIY robot kit being offered by John. Just fantastic and a real tribute to this great site and the people who make it what it is. ;)

So Andy you will be building my one then :huh: ,,I definitely want one with as nice a finish as the one you just built ,so if John hasn't the time this could be the solution [ obviously builders charges applies,but that can be finalised later ]..What do you think?

Andy, great job...in all honesty, I think I like this version the best out of all of them. It has an industry quality about it, it definitely looks like something you might purchase in a store. The bare rivets and large eye lenses against the matte finish make a huge difference! Fantastic!

Beautiful build, and I'm loving the color. The darker, chocolate color appeals to me, maybe because of Thunder. Gives it a heavier, heavy-duty appearance. Great job!

— Nikola Tesla

Now I'm confused... I thought the robot was black, and the lighting was just playing tricks on my eyes. Andy, what color is it, and did you do anything weird to the finish? Now I just can't tell... :blink:

Now I'm confused... I thought the robot was black, and the lighting was just playing tricks on my eyes. Andy, what color is it, and did you do anything weird to the finish? Now I just can't tell... :blink:

Well, thanks, Doc, now I can't tell what color it is! On my screen, I'm seeing a deep chocolate, but that may be the lighting (as well as the fact that I like the idea of a chocolate-colored robot).

— Nikola Tesla

Archived