Batteries: AA To D Cell Battery Converters, Anybody Tried Them

MetalRobotHead

We all know about the problem of new alkaline batteries being a bit too lively and heavy for our old robots, either blowing the bulbs filaments apart, toppling the robot over due to the weight or having plenty of AA's and no D's. One solution might be these AA to D cell converters that are available in all sorts of colours and styles, anyboby any experience of using them? :unsure:

post-214-1247911247.jpg

Didn't even know they existed MRH.

Looks like a great idea though especially for the Space Conkers as they do have a built in desire to fall over backwards.

Yes, they work as advertised, allowing you to use alkaline cells without all the weight. I use the one piece units that don't have a cover. The AA slips in and you are ready to roll. Radio shack sells them, and of course, you can find them on ebay. Very inexpensive.

The ones I have are stacked AA to C to D, like the wooden eggs. I have used the C to D ones and the AA to C. They do lighten the weight. They also work well in toys where the batteries are loaded in tubes. I have several 50's space rifles where the plastic has shrunk or warped and the D cells don't fit anymore and I have used the C to D adapters for those. These have been around for a while. I used them to adapt battery op robots for my son about 15 years ago. I attached wires to the adapter terminals and brought them out of the battery box to a remote control box with batteries.

Yes, they work as advertised, allowing you to use alkaline cells without all the weight. I use the one piece units that don't have a cover. The AA slips in and you are ready to roll. Radio shack sells them, and of course, you can find them on ebay. Very inexpensive.

Thanks for this information I am off to radio shack. My Thunder Robots keep falling back and with less weight this will work out great.

The converters arrived today and off they went into my Thunder robots and away they went running great and NOT falling back. They also ran great in the space evils with less weight in the body as they did the roto-turn.

Thanks again MetalRobotHead for starting this post. I did have to use a thin washer for one side only for the contact on the minus side. :)

• 1 year later...

I JUST ORDERED A SET (4) AT RADIOSHACK $9.99, HAD TO ORDER NOT A STOCK ITEM, THIS MAY WORK FOR ME.

Just remember for all smoking robots you still need the D ones to get a great smoking action going. :)

• 1 year later...

I JUST ORDERED A SET (4) AT RADIOSHACK $9.99, HAD TO ORDER NOT A STOCK ITEM, THIS MAY WORK FOR ME.

Looks like the Radio Shack still has them and also for "C" cells, a pack of four for $6.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3402580

• 1 year later...

I highly recommend these from Sanyo, the AA's are locked into place when you slide them in and the back end is open assuring full contact, they work great. They also come in C and AAA sizes.post-1784-0-59110500-1367972371_thumb.jp

• Brian.. changed the title to Batteries: AA To D Cell Battery Converters, Anybody Tried Them

Archived