Plastic Repair

Topper

Hi All

I'm looking for a material I can use to repair a plastic toy, specifically my Fireball XL-5 rocket has a large circular chip. I wanted to essentially cast a "filler" piece to plug the hole but not harm the original plastic (following the do no harm philosophy for restoration). I've searched the forums but didn't find anything there. Can anyone make a suggestion? I did find Plast-aid on the web but have no experience with it. My biggest concern is chemical interaction.

Thanks,

Daniel

Topper, if you find out how to repair plastic toys let me know. I have a couple hard to find pieces with minor defects. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

For plastic repairs I use Devcon 5 minute 2part epoxy(it has the clearest activator and resin). I then mix in Badger opaque liquid airbrush colors to match and apply to the surface with a paper clip or appropriate tool using masking tape to form or back up the repair area. If the color is slightly off when hardened I do some additional airbrush work, mask and spray the area with krylon to seal the color, light OOOO steel wool and then quick dry coats of clear Future wax. The area can then be finished with Novus 2 to a matching sheen. It's not easy but works with practice. I've used this procedure on some colored plastics as well as Bakelite swirl and solid color antique radios. :)

Archived