I Finished Vincent

kennetzel

I recently rented and watched the Black Hole for the first time in years. I forgot what an awful movie it was. But it had cool robots, especially V.I.N.cent. And I realized I don't have one in my collection. I had the model when it first came out, but that got wrecked and tossed out years ago. So now I am looking for one in some form or another. I did see a Kubrik one on the auction sites, but they wanted over $100.00 for it, and it was only two inches tall. I couldn't justify paying that kind of money for that small amount of plastic. Maybe I just don't know the true value of it. There was a broken one of the same for over $35.00, but some good and noticable parts were gone. So if anyone out there has a lead on V.I.N.cent in any form for a reasonable price, can you let me know? I am in the market. Thanks. kennetzel@roadrunner.com.

post-125-1246722144.jpg

I also have begun looking for them. But they want 2 arms and a leg for them. Also if they are like new the cost is way out. I have seen them go for quite a bit and they are only about 3" tall. :)

Vincent was Disney's effort to capitalize on the wild popularity of R2D2 back in the late 1970s — unfortunately for Disney, the space fantasy crowd was a bit more discriminating, so "The Black Hole" was a boxoffice flop (particularly compared to Star Wars). I remember the first and only time I went to see TBH, and I cringed all the way through it... Sheesh. It was like an especially lame 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but without a decent screenplay. Or decent acting. Or original ideas.

Come to think of it, Disney has never had a grasp of space fantasy. Wonder why that is?

Anyway, I kind of draw the line at buying Disney stuff, because then I'd be a Disney collector, which is like being a Star Wars collector... It's a never-ending pursuit, and there are others out there who are already thousands and thousands of pieces into their Disney collections, so I'd always be a trifling newbie to the field, and I hate that.

— Nikola Tesla

Maybe you could also help time pass through your search by getting one those easy to find "George - The computer Robot" who's design is very similar to Vincent. Easy to find and very low priced.

CGL-George.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hit paydirt...I got a model of the little guy at auction. Still sealed in the plastic. Now I plan on building it. I am not one to keep it in the box sealed. It does no good laying there in pieces. So I broke open the shrink wrap and it is in excellent condition. Parts are till in the plastic bags, the decals are free of any staining or discoloration...like brand new. I'll post pics when I finish it.

I don't know if that is the one or not...I don't remember seeing the price in marker on the shrink wrap like this one has. But I paid $50.00 for it on a buy it now. There was one on auction for $40.00, but since I saw the buy it now, I figure considering how hard it is to find, I may not get it on the bid auction, so I splurged and spent the extra ten dollars. That really is not a bad price to pay for a model these days. I paid $40.00 for the special edition, chrome plated Iron Man Mark II model that just came out, so it wasn't too far off, considering the subject matter of the kit.

Well, no, I'm sure that wasn't THE exact one you found, I was asking if that was the same kit? The 1979 MPC kit? Nice. I see these VINcent nowhere these days.

I have a couple of the Maximillian MPC kits. They are getting expensive too. One I will keep sealed in the box forever, and the other is being built and painted a neutral grey so that it can be better 3-D scanned for the life size version I've been working on.

There was someone doing a 1:1 VINCENT at one time, but I cannot remember who........ The original prop is in a Planet Hollywood restaurant somewhere, as is one of the non-articulated Max's. I think the hero Max is at the Smithsonian now.

Sorry Kanaan, I took you too litterally I guess. But yes, it is the MPC kit. I started working on him a few days ago. I like putting on the decals before the kit is assembled because it can get awkward with the little guy rolling around while trying to put on some of the hard to place ones. But they gave me a lot of trouble. Fact is, they are thirty year old decals. They wouldn't slide off the sheet. I had to use an exacto and litterally peel them up, then lay them back down on the sheet which caused buckling and ripping. I did the best I could, but it bugs me knowing I can't do the fine job I want to. I'll just have to do the best I can.

Well, here is the end result. I am not happy with the way it turned out. I have to remember it is a thirty year old model. The halves are warped and don't fit together well, the decals didn't come off the sheets, and when I peeled them, didn't stick, so lots of glue stick was used. And he leans terribly. I can't seem to bend the wire straight enough. But here is the finished model anyway. At least he's now in my collection. Maybe someday they will re-issue him. Here's hoping.

post-125-1247768540.jpg

Ken, nice job on the old MPC kit, I remember building this one in '79 or '80 and even when new it was a terrible fit of the parts and mine was as crooked as yours when done. :P You have to be careful not to knock this built kit around as due to the physics of his mass he'll fall over easily and parts will fly off! :lol: I recall the decals were not very easy to work with either.

Anyway your kit looks wonderful! Models and robots just plain go together, at least they always have with *Altaira and I. Keep on building, I've got to get back to my LIS kits again as they're still on the shelf partially started. Alphadrome took me away from them for too long.

Archived