Lubrication: Robot Lubrication

Tinman

I've been working on a customized robot and before putting it back together wanted to ensure it's properly lubricated. When I received the robot I thought the lubrication was a bit overdone with grease running down the legs and all over the paint. Can these robots be lubricated too little and what is the effect? What is the best source of grease to lubricate the nylon gears of the walking mechanism as seen in the pics below?

post-329-1246678378.jpg

post-329-1246678389.jpg

That part of the robot drive does need to be lubed other wise it will work poorly , and as you know too much grease will in the end run down the leg. It just take time and some warn weather to help the grease migrate from the gears to any crack it can sneek threw. A good white grease like lithium grease is a good choise, even old axle grease is good as long as you do not use to much. Most parts of the gear boxes do not require to be lubed but any time you have a axle /drive shaft running in a punched metal hole you know it will wear over time and a little grease will cut back on the wear. As a general rule LESS is MORE when it comes to lubing the bot.

• Brian.. changed the title to Lubrication: Robot Lubrication

Archived