Paint For Customizing?

Tinman

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a specific brand of paint to use for customizing? Do you rough up the original paint with steel wool or something similar? Inquiring minds want to know!

There is a old post about this topic some place on the Drome if you can find it. Good old Henk used to torch "burn the paint off" I just take lacquar thinner and wipe the old paint down to remove any wax or grease also it tackys up the old paint so the new paint sticks better. Now all spray can paints are soft, they are not tuff like a 2 component industrial finnish or automotive finnish but the old spray can is so easy to use and cost effective compared to auto finnishes. If you have ever bought a automotive paint then you know that by the time to buy the paint , the special reducer the clean up thinner and the clear top coat material you have spent close to $100 bucks then you still have to have the spray gun equipment to apply it correctly.

Thanks for the tip on the lacquar thinner John, the donor robot is pretty greasey and needs to be cleaned up before painting. I guess I'll hit up the paint section at Walmart and see what tickles my fancy.

• Brian.. changed the title to Paint For Customizing?

Archived