Mechanical Explanation (Two-Action Gearing)

Tinman

I was wondering if someone (John) could explain the function of the two nylon gears in the pic below. I'm working on a custom and am trying to understand things as I tear the robot down. The donor robot is one of those inexpensive Robot 2000 (Millennium Robot) rotate-o-matics. Although they look identical, does the lower gear have more teeth, causing it to spin faster, or is it the opposite? I understand the wedge on the lower gear causes the two to separate, bringing the robot to a hault and firing the guns with lights and sound while spinning, but I'm having difficulty seeing what kicks it off. Also, what triggers the two gears to come back together, causing the robot to start walking?

One other question, do these robots have to be lubricated as much as this one is? One of the reasons I'm taking it apart is to remove all the oil before repainting, it's a mess with oil running everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

post-329-1245610734.jpg

Remember well that exciting moment in my life when I tried to understand the working mechanism. I need 20 ( I repeat: twenty!) minutes to understand how it works,

interrupted by three breaks with thoughts like that: "It´s impossible how it works! Why...? :unsure: " or " I get or No! I don´t or... :huh: ?" or "Who? What? Where? Why?" :blink:

Bill the best thing is you put batteries in it, switch the body part of the robot on and watch how it works. Meanwhile here´s my explanation.

Like you wrote the lower gear has one more teeth when the upper. It moves faster and with the wedge it brings itself down!

Therefore the small brass gear below fits into the walking mechanism. This means if the two plastic gears are near together the robot is in the rotating & firing position.

The gears will be moved together with the help of a spring on the upper part of the gears axle.

Lubrication is normal, but I guess you are not willing to paint the gears? ;). Solve the 2 lashes on each side of the body,

also 4 lashes inside the batterie box to get the body tin for painting. Don´t forget to solve also both the cords from upper part of batterie box inside the robot.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks BR. Soon after I submitted the post I figured out how it works. The lower gear with the wedge simply slips under the non-slotted portion of the top gear until it reaches the slot and drops into place, engaging the walking mechanism. Seems simple now.

This robot seems to be over-lubricated, I mean it's legs are discolored from oil.

one gear has one more tooth than the other. this makes them move at different speeds so one moves around the other. the lift comes from one of the gears that has a raised part that slowly moves the other gear away from it. When it is moved far enough away, it will start a different mechanism. This gives the effect of two different actions. It's an AMAZING mechanism for what it appears to show. there is a good explanation at the end of that Video about the

2001 Spaceman being assembled.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...p;hl=the+making

• Brian.. changed the title to Mechanical Explanation (Two-Action Gearing)

Archived