The Neutron Ray Challenge

Tinplate6

Ok brother Alphadromers, since there is a veritable cornucopia of talented artisans amongst you, I'm asking for a project favor. Below is a high res picture of my avatar, the Neutron Ray gun. I want to see if any of you could make a 3D, regulation size version of my design. I had a fellow working on it, but he appears to have disappeared into the ether. So, I put out the challenge, or should I say, request...a plea, perhaps...don't make me beg. :(

post-656-1244961102.jpg

post-656-1244961304.jpg

Yer a funny guy Andy :huh: ...Ok, so the "chop-shop" idea is out. However, a scratch built plastic version will do nicely...everybody's a comedian. :lol:

Sorry I'm having a trying day. The hot water heater split this morning. I just finished pumping out the basement , cutting it out and dragging it up the stairs. No toys lost, but what a mess. Thank goodness everything was in plastic tubs. They float ! OK, the gun .Basically [Not a chance :P ] Building something like this takes a lot of time ! ? Mr Rigg excluded . He owns a time machine and put's it to good use. Actually He can whip out projects faster then the rest of us , because He is a MASTER at what He does. It would take Me at least 15-20 hrs to build that Gun on top of the special materials, Equipment, custom paint job [Phil] . I remember building a Rocket for Phil a few yrs ago. When it was finished and I notified him of the cost. He was offended, because I didn't Charge him enough. :unsure: I apologize ,but custom work is expensive for three reasons. A lot of people can't do it and it requires a lot of investment in equipment and materials. ;)

Hmmm, yeah, I figured that...With my current situation, I could go $200 tops. Anyway, Sorry to hear about your flood, Eagle. I hope you're high and dry soon, thanks for the reality check.

Hmmm, yeah, I figured that...With my current situation, I could go $200 tops. Anyway, Sorry to hear about your flood, Eagle. I hope you're high and dry soon, thanks for the reality check.

Your looking to at least to 4 to 5 times your $200 for a custom of that gun. If I commissioned a piece like that it would be $1200-$1500 minimum.

For 200 bucks, I'll carve ya one out of soap. You can call it raygun on a rope !! :lol: Kidding aside Tinplate, it's not your fault . You are the customer. All you are asking for is a product at a certain price level. It's our fault as a supplier for not figuring out a way to make items like this [faster] and cheaper. There are some things that just can't be streamlined in production like a model T . It is a fantastic ray gun and I would love to build it. However at this time it would have to sit on my shelf until your offer of 200 inflates to 800 . At the rate we are printing money right now, you should be able to buy the gun in about three weeks. :D I know it's not funny, but it's true. Don't give up .

Ok brother Alphadromers, since there is a veritable cornucopia of talented artisans amongst you, I'm asking for a project favor. Below is a high res picture of my avatar, the Neutron Ray gun. I want to see if any of you could make a 3D, regulation size version of my design. I had a fellow working on it, but he appears to have disappeared into the ether. So, I put out the challenge, or should I say, request...a plea, perhaps...don't make me beg. :(

post-656-1244961102.jpg

post-656-1244961304.jpg

Hey TP,

I am not a builder like Gramps or Eagle but I have a few questions. What are you wanting it made out of? Tin, Resin? Just wondering. I am trying to think of a way to make it a bit cheaper by finding parts that may be used in the gun. I am good at finding junk. Or at least that is what my wife says.

JimK

Honestly? If it looks like my design on the outside, I'm not very particular about the inside. A plastic model would even be cool. Wow, guys I appreciate the education, I had no idea how expensive this kind of stuff is. See, I was going by the price quote given by the fist guy (the one I never heard back from). Yes, of course I'd love to have a tin version, but that would be waaaay above my level of the food chain. The metal prop gun I made from hardware cost me about the same, but I didn't factor in labor, because I made it myself, but I no longer have the tools to make another one. Either way, I'm in no hurry, I'll get it done someday, who knows, if I get enough interest, they'd make a cool collector's piece.

As I said, I am not a builder like these guys. But I was looking at the gun and I think the the parts pictured could be turned out of wood and a mold made for resin or vacume forming in Plastic. The grip would also be fairly easy to make from wood. If you are truly not fussy about what it is made out of, with a little tinkering it could be done I think. I have some friends that are wood workers and a few that are machienests. Let me ask them what they would think that it would take to make masters of these parts. Ya never know

JimK

post-769-1245175479.jpg

post-769-1245175491.jpg

Jim, Thanks for the support, let's see what happens. Now, IF I had the right tools (and the funds), here's how I would make it...90% would be machined or cast in aluminum. The barrel and main body could be cut on a lathe. A sand casting could be used to create a frame for the handle and trigger guard. Repro plastic Atomic Disintegrator grips would work nicely. The 3 silver ribs on the back would just be half moon plates, and inserted into notches at the rear of the gun. The clear parts could be cast in resin. Sure, it wouldn't light up or anything, but it would look great after painting!

Archived