The Alphadrome Robot Project. Alpha-bot

robothut

First robothunter. Now, Nikola Tesla. It's like old times again on Alphadrome! Welcome back you guys!!!

What ever the final outcome, count me in for one of these "Alpha-bots". They all look great!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...First robothunter. Now, Nikola Tesla. It's like old times again on Alphadrome! Welcome back you guys!!...

Ah, Joe! We never really left! Once you have robots in the blood, you're addicted for life! LOL! ;)

Mr Tesla , I like your idea in regards to the nose. I think that it should be positive and clear . John, the aluminum channel is a good idea. The front panel could be attached with AN535 drive screws . The The rear panel [for maintenance access ] screws on. I'm in the middle of some big home projects right now, but will get on with it by Friday. Are you going to drive the antenna with a belt from the gearbox ?

Aircraft spruce has them as does Hanson rivet.

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w58.htm

post-545-1244577578.jpg

Due to the severe thunderstorms we have been having my plans for today were altered. So I have had some time to work on this project. I was able to laser cut the front plate and make some wheels in between storms. It looks like I will be able to use John's dimensions and make it self contained without making it a skirted robot. I also started writing the software for the motor drivers, it will have a walking movement (like a pin walker), plus smooth movement of a wheeled vehicle and other random moves and of course the Non Contact "Bump-N-Go" I may add Tesla's idea of the runway lights. What started out as a simple project has suddenly gotten complex and costly, dual motors, 4 microprocessors, LED's, IR and motor electronics plus other bits and pieces.

post-242-1244592580.jpg

Supper cool Grampa, glad you found some time to play with the design!

I checked around town today and on line and found that the extruded aluminum channel stops at 1 inch wide, I need 1.5 inches wide. yes you can have any type of aluminum extruded as a custom order but I was looking for a off the shelf cost effective way to do it. I will give it more thought.

But for now I have finnished the plastic prototype. It is made from scrap 1/8 inch styreen plastic and since I have no lasor the 12 segment front grill is just a past on decal for now. I did go with the new foot design and painted them red. Also I decided to paint the robot with a metalic black instead of straight black. The nose is painted white right now, not sure I like it white any suggestions? The eyes light when the robot is ON and it can walk forward or backward useing a dollar store remote control box.Here is a link to a short video of the robot operating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MnR5EBD8

Here are a few pictures of the robot as well.

post-7-1244602280.jpg

post-7-1244602310.jpg

post-7-1244602335.jpg

post-7-1244602354.jpg

post-7-1244602379.jpg

post-7-1244602414.jpg

First robothunter. Now, Nikola Tesla. It's like old times again on Alphadrome! Welcome back you guys!!!

Hey, Joe! Great to be back. Although I haven't been able to make the last 4 BotStocks, I really appreciate Joe sending me an invite every year, anyway. Even in those years when we fully planned on attending, it seems like there was always something to prevent us at the last minute.

Thanks again, Joe!

— Nikola Tesla

John, that looks just great ! He needed to be a wired-remote, pin-walker !

I finally got time tonight to check out the topic, and here you have a working

example already !! Not sure about the white nose, I'll have to give this some

thought, but the rest is cool ! I'd like to see a flashing chest piece, and maybe

a rotating scanner ring. Guess I had better get thinking / building, huh ?

And Grandpa, can't wait to see your high-tech take on this guy !

Also, it's GREAT to see both Robothunter and Dr. Tesla back in action ... WELCOME BACK GUYS !!!!!!!

Wow, the prototypes are looking fantastic — I'm visualizing in candy-apple red, but I don't want to overly complicate the project, having just returned to the board.

post-5-1244609843.gif

Hm. The red isn't as impressive as the black.

Still, I'm getting another idea....SMOKER! :lol: Or is that pushing it? :blink:

— Nikola Tesla

Love the metallic black, John! Sadly, I can't seem to play the .wmv file... Still, I'm sure the toy is great. :)

As for the nose... I don't know. Maybe silver? It'd pick up the silver in the arms...

Just a thought: What about making the nose triangular? Something similar to Atomic Robot Man's, I mean. Or would that be a pain in the butt?

Great work all! Not taken with the white nose, the light chasing effect very nice though. B)

How 'bout LED's for the front panel like Mr. Atomic? Maybe an atomic symbol on him as well?? Working scanner (s) would be nice too.

The basic design is great,the red feet look great,I actualy like the decal on the front.....The main problem is the nose but we already know that..In my mind I think a complete cut out for the nose area would look best ,,basicaly so you can see right through,this would really define the 'A' symbol,,you could still make the nose area light up by 'throwing' the light into the gap from the sides of the cut out..

BTW,,Are there to be a few versions,,,,,I see Grandpa is right into the project now,and even though this is a great thing because we all know his work with it's clean lines and micro processers is second to none but the way I see it such quality comes at a price,,,I would hate to see this project zoom out of a lot of our price ranges.

My thoughts as of now are if it is to be a joint project I think it should be kept as simple [and cheap :blush: ] as possible.

The super deluxe version can come later. ;)

P.S Dr.Tesla,Nice to meet you,,,,,,,It's good to see these veteran members coming back [hope that didn't make you feel too old] :)

Hello All,

I agree with Sparkrobot about the fear of the climbimbing cost of the high tech version. However I see no reason that two versions couldn't be offered to the membership. The ones that can afford the hight tech version might be happier and those of us on a tight toy budget can opt for the lower tech version and be just as happy.

On a personal note I happen to like the vintage action of Johns robot. I like the idea of the nose piece, maybe make it a red to match the feet, or a translusent red with a small light behind it. I like the grill being added to the body but would be cool if it could light up some how. I like Johns original idea of having the members get the kits in raw form and do the paint and assembly. It leaves the possibility open for so many cool custom looks.

Well I guess that is all I got at the moment. I can't wait to see grandpas version. John, Fantastic job as always. I could not have pictured a better Alphadrome mascot.

JimK

From some of the posts I think some have a misunderstanding of this project and my involement, it's John's baby so I don't really know what he plans to do about kits, pricing, etc. The only involvement I have at this time is to laser cut a set of parts for John in exchange for a set of arms. The one I'm building is strictly for me.

Archived