The Alphadrome Robot Project. Alpha-bot

robothut

For all you newbies, here is a thread link about makeing a custom ST-1 robot for Alphadrom members, the thread led to A LOGO design by Nikola Tesla (Charles Miller) that has been used on posters and T shirts ever since. But back in that same thread Robot HUnter asked a question about makeing a custom Alphadrom robot based on the LOGO design. I think it could be done if enought members wanted a custion Alphadrom robot. I will add some prototype pictures and drawings later so we can talk about the possible project. So check out the thread, here is a link.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...c=1067&st=0

and go to page 3 and post #52 to see when the LOGO was born, then go to page 5 post# 96 to see Pats comment on the robot project.

Just seems like there are enoght builders here now that we could divide up the parts build to keep the costs very low. We could also have some fun with different details, like paint jobs, decals. How about one that looks to be made of wood or is made of wood, or riveted metal or any other type material but keeping with the original design.

post-7-1244424797.jpg

post-7-1244424826.jpg

post-7-1244424860.jpg

post-7-1244425112.jpg

post-7-1244504282.jpg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are two line drawing pages that can be used to build mock ups in paper or card board. I will add some pictures later of some of my ideas on this project. The robot would be about 8 3/4 inches tall based on these drawings.

The arms would be resin cast from a master part to keep the cost down and the assembly easy. And most likely there would be some sort of resin or plastic foot added. A pin drive would work best for this design. Light up eyes are a must and maybe flashing lights behind the colored grill area. A dollar store battery remote control box would work and keep costs low.

post-7-1244477100.jpg

post-7-1244477134.jpg

My original question back then was....

"Now that we have an OFFICIAL Alphdrome Robot logo only one thing is missing......we need to actually make this robot!!!

What do you say John Rigg?? Here's the shape & design. You decide on the materials and actions and we'll do the buying!!

I think this would make for an AWESOME toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

YES!! Finally! You know I'm in for one, John! Hey, it only took five years to get you interested. LOL!! Do I at least get serial number #1 for coming up with the idea?! :lol: Thanks, John! ;)

I'd definitley pay for one as well!

ohh, and magically a decal appeared on my kitchen wall tonight! If any of you want one, just let me know. Or maybe I'll just wait till give them out at Botstock next year ;)

post-727-1244443636.jpg

Cool idea! So would the nose be a positive or a negative impression? A negative nose would support the letter "A" but I think it would diminish the robot in 3D.

Andy brings up a good point about the nose. I also think it should be a skirted design with the bottom part of the "A" being a depression. This would open up the possibility of making it wheeled using a windup or electric motors and build in the batteries. I lost all interest in the project when I read the part of making it a pin walker with the dreaded wired remote for power.

I played with some 3D scaling last night and found a size of 6"high, 3"wide (at bottom of "A") by 2" deep had the best visual look.

I'd give it a shot in "Tin" . 12" tall with a base for stability ,batteries and a drive mechanism . Or a skirted design like gramps suggested . Good idea John.

Well I plan on building mock up bots with open hole type nose and cloded nose that would have a part glued to the surface much like any toy robot. I have made tons of pin walkers so thats not a problem but even with open legs there is still plenty of room for micro modified servos to drive wheels if that is what we want to do. Actualy there does not need to be just one alphadrome robot design it would be very cool with all the tallent here on the drome to see every ones own design. I just thought it would be cool to be able to offer a kit robot for member too build and have members add to the finnal design of the kit and have members provide different parts for the kit.

Haveing said all that. I based my line drawings on the actual LOGO artwork. I emailed Nikola Tesla (he works in Washington DC with his wife right now, they do very little web surfing as the system they work with has a fire wall that blocks just about everything. So the drawing so far are based on a file he emailed me. So here are some pictures of the first two pages of test drawing assembled in poster board type card board.

post-7-1244477674.jpg

post-7-1244477701.jpg

post-7-1244477965.jpg

Archived