The Alphadrome Robot Project. Alpha-bot

robothut

Hell, I would purchase the mock up. Nice work, John.

I'm not sure I'm hip to the plan though. If you need someone to assemble parts I would be glad to help out.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is exciting enough to raise me from the dead. :P

— Nikola Tesla

Hey - Nikola Tesla!! Good to hear from you old friend! Did you have trouble remembering your password?

You know, there's no going back - you have to start posting again. ;)

I have started to convert John's drawings to AutoCAD so the parts can be laser cut or CNC machined. The DFX files will be available to anyone that wants them. I have a couple of projects I'm finishing up this week so I should have the drawings done sometime next week. I plan on building a legged and skirted version, both will be using 2 motors and microprocessor controlled with my Non Contact "Bump-N-Go". I'm pretty sure that both of them will be self contained with a built in battery pack. They both will have LED eyes that will be microprocessor controlled to blink different patterns and the chest grid will have LED's that change color and intensity.

Hey John, I'll trade you a set of acrylic laser cut parts for a set of cast arms when you get your molds made.

post-242-1244547709.jpg

Wow, concept to reality so very fast. I don't hang out here all the time, just stop in occasionally when robots are on my mind. So I wasn't even aware of the logo until this years BotStock. Personally I see the nose as a negative space, but I can see why one would want it as a positive application.

So what if the compromise was to have a negative nose, with an attachable positive nose. I'd imagine that it would be pretty easy to just make a nose that plugs in the hole with no screws or glue. That way each member could have the nose they want.

Roger

Hey - Nikola Tesla!! Good to hear from you old friend! Did you have trouble remembering your password? You know, there's no going back - you have to start posting again. ;)

Heh. No, didn't forget the password, but my wife and I have been doing government work behind a high security firewall for the last few years, so I don't get to go surf the Internet like I used to. Or at all. But I think it's high time to remedy that situation.

And, yes, with an original AlphaBot in the works, I think I'll definitely resume posting. Good to be back!

— Nikola Tesla

Gramps, will your laser cut 18 gauge mild steel ? The chest holes are going to be a bugger to hand file. I lost all of my square drill bits. :P

Regarding the nose, I think there's a lot you could do with it. Could be just a structural piece, could protrude from the face, could be inset in the face, or...

post-5-1244557110.gif

..could be a lens with some sort of light show, like runway strobes going up or down. 2¢

— Nikola Tesla

Now were talking! Great ideas! I think Dr. Atomic might be right red feet would look cool so I will mock up one to look at. Grandpa yes to every thing you have suggested and asked. Nicola nice idea for the runny nose or I mean running light type nose.

I will finnish up a plastic pin walker proto type "made from used 1/8 inch styreen that I have laying around" but then I think I will look into a metal version. I just thought that maybe a guy could use stock channel aluminum for the sides and top as well as the inside leg fill. That way only the front and back would have to be lasor cut in metal, aluminum would work fine. To hold the front and back on to the channel aluminum sides we could use lots of small screws, it would not need lots of screws too stay on but if the screws were made part of the body design like rivets it could look very nice. Great ideas guys. Lets keep playing with it and see where we end up. Now all you guys with printers and and glue can be playing around with ideas too you know! Hay Nicola any chance you might be willing to do some box art work for the project once we get it all worked out?

post-7-1244562029.jpg

Gramps, will your laser cut 18 gauge mild steel ? The chest holes are going to be a bugger to hand file. I lost all of my square drill bits. :P

It won't cut metal, you need a lot more than a 60 watt CO2 laser for metal cutting. I wish it did though.

Great to have you back, Dr. Tesla! ;)

All these ideas are sounding great. John, I love the way the pin-walker is shaping up. Gramps, your versions sound pretty incredible. Can't wait to see everything in action!

Now I'm getting really exited,,,,,,I'll have two,,one in the nice black with the red feet and one in a the dodgy light blue :blink: ;) [see Chief Robotman repro thread]

Joking apart when it all comes together I will definitely have one in kit form or preferably one fully assembled with a box with fantastic artwork,,with the enthusiastic members we have here I know it will happen...

Archived