The Alphadrome Robot Project. Alpha-bot

robothut

As for final construction materials. There is no reason that the bot could not be made from tin, if it can be built from cardboard it can be built in tin. But connecting the tin parts could becomes a problem for many members I would think, where as if the robot is built from plastic or resin then any one can glue it together. Now if the tin parts were lazor cut with screw holes then maybe the metal parts could be screwed together, but it seems there would have to be bends at the edges or seperate hobby shop right angle brass could be used but then there would have to be holes drilled in just the right places in the brass to match the body holes so any alphadrome member could screw the thing together. As for the drive wheel idea its a great idea as well. Granpa could program a PIC chip to control to drive wheel motors to give the robot a stepping like look and he could even put in the IR bump and go sensor if he wanted. That way the robot could walk all over the place and never hit any thing. Could be cool! So please don't ttake my direction on this project as the only way to go, I am just trying out ideas as I hope some of you will and sharing them here to get people interested in what could be a inexpensive members only robot.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no builder, but I'll chime in anyway... ;)

1. I love the idea of a pin-walking mechanism with a wired remote control. I think it needs to be as close to a vintage robot as possible -- it's supposed to represent Alphadrome, and Alphadrome, at its core, is a forum for the old toys.

2. I agree with Andy -- the nose should probably be a facial detail, not a hole through the robot's head. Hewing too close to the letter "A," being that literal, might make the final toy feel a little hokey. Whenever I looked at the logo, I always kind of saw the A as a facial feature...

Anyway, just my opinion. I do think that we should get the arguing phase out of the way as fast as possible so we can get on to the building phase... it'd be a shame if this lost steam over time.

This sounds pretty cool, I'd be interested in a tin version...well any version actually, but tin would be good, I mean, that's a big part of it, right? As for the legs/feet, why not a shuffle robot with wheels. The legs don't have to bend or move, the moving part could be inside the bottom tubes of the "A" frame, like a skirt? What do you think? It would have a smoother motion...hmmm, probably too complicated though, just a thought.

I love the idea of an Alphadrome robot,,the design looks great ,but I'm a little bit confused with the overall concept,,,Will it come in kit form or fully built and only sold to members.......Personaly I would prefer a fully built version,but if it only comes in kit form just send mine to Andyman he can make mine for me. :o ;) :lol:

My origional plan was to have it offered as a kit only with as many members as possible helping to make the parts of the kit. But you know you could always hire out the assembly of your kit to you favorite builder or even the kid next door.

This web site has one of the best sellections of gear head motors from small to large and and at fair prices.

http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_gearmotors.html

For my pin drive I am useing there part number 70103 Universal Gearbox by Tamiya. its only $7.99 has brass and nylon type gears, you set the output speed at fast, med, or slow by putting the gears in different ways also the output drive shaft can be mounted in 4 different postions. one per robot.

Now I know Grandpa and many other here have used this motor assemlie, they sell them at this site as well. There 224:1 gear motor at 90 degree would fit in the legs, just ad a drive wheel to the shaft. they are $6.99 each and you would need 2 per robot.

OK here are some quick and dirty resin arms, I just made a throw away silputy impresion of a master part then dumped in some resin. Made no effort to keep out air voids or mold seems. Like I said its quick and dirty so we can see the finnal look of the first mock up.

post-7-1244484201.jpg

post-7-1244484215.jpg

post-7-1244484242.jpg

post-7-1244484279.jpg

This would be so cool if it gets to be made. I would definately be interested in one. It would be an honor to have one in my collection.

Hello all,

I am a little late on this one. But I would for sure love to have one. Please add me to the list. I of course would do whatever I could to help. Not sure what that would be but I am game.

JimK

Dang John, last night it was a concept , tonight it will be finished and By Friday the kits will start arriving at dromers doorsteps ! :P Could you throttle back to Impulse power for a day ? ;) Nice job. Thanks for the links. I read the old posts..whatever happened to the original robot that was supposed to be built ?

Yowza that's cool , count me in for 1 , preferably assembled since I can't get anything to work properly let alone assemble it :rolleyes:

I shot some paint on the carboard mock up, yea there are runs all over it but you get the idea and thats all a mock up is go for anyway. I just noticed that there are two main designs for the Alpha bot. The first one had a longer nose and only 9 segments to the grill, the second version had a shorter nose and 12 segments to the grill. The poster from botstock 6 had the bigger grill and I like it best so I will make a working prototype next out of scrap plastic and will use the second version with the smaller nose and bigger Grill. Also I will make the nose a external part like most robot toys have. So here is a picture of the mock up with paint and a new line drawing for the second version with the bigger grill area.

post-7-1244504035.jpg

post-7-1244504089.jpg

The mouth does look better tapered in the model than square in the original drawing. Will it have lights in the mouth?

Will the antennas rotate? Where do I sign up ?

I keep saying it, but that's so cool. Great job, John.

Could I put in a vote for red feet? Most of these old robots have red feet, and it'll help add a little definition to the toy. The legs won't disappear into the ground... Plus, it's another nice little nod to ol' Robby. :)

Man, I'm so excited for this. John, you've outdone yourself!

Archived