Hemi Powered Giant Robot Project

robothut

So Ozzy asked if I could put a die cast Hemi engine in to a supper giant robot, I said I would give it a try. The main problems being would the die cast engine fit in the body and if so then where would I move the battery box and the drive motor for the walking action too? Well the engine fit so I was then forced to solve the battery and drive motor problems. It seemed that the large hollow legs of the robot would make a good place to place batterys so I made alot of modifications the the left foot of the giant robot so that a battery pack could slide threw the bottom of the foot up in to the leg area. I added a screw to the side of the left foot that acts as a stop to hold the batterys up inside the foot / leg area. Next was the drive motor problem. On these giant type robots there is a center shaft that comes up from the legs that rotates to drive the walking mechanics. So I extended this shaft. It passes threw the die cast Hemi right up in to the head area. In the head I used a modified RC servo to drive the extended drive shaft. The die cast Hemi had to be motorized as well so that all belts and pullys would run. The head is based on a robot that I built for Ozzy a few years back called Dynamo, but the basic head would have to be scaled up in size to fit this giant robot. The spiral eyes light up and I added a digital sound system that plays a real Hemi engine stating up and runing. The digital chip starts when the power switch is turned on so its kind of cool to here the robot start up. The engine compartment is light with 6 lights for a good view. I also cut out the claws so they are open for more detail. Then there is the metalic Lime Green paint job, 2 coats of paint and two caots of clear top coat. Oz can do the hand rub if he wants.

This should be a YouTube link to a video of the bot operating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepzNLkquOo

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/HemiBotPage.html

post-7-1244216106.jpg

post-7-1244216133.jpg

Some build shots. The leg modification and body strip down. You can see the drive shaft for the walking mechanics.

post-7-1244216446.jpg

post-7-1244216890.jpg

Body work with engine fit test. The die cast engine weights more than the robot! The engine had to be motorized so that all belts and pully would be running when the robot was turned ON. So this took some real work to get inside the die cast motor ands then to add a small gear head motor that would not block the walking drive shaft from passing threw the center of the motor.

post-7-1244217035.jpg

post-7-1244217083.jpg

post-7-1244217112.jpg

post-7-1244217292.jpg

The head had to be custom built but based on a robot project from the past that Henk and Ozzy were going to do. Well it was based on a mock up built by Henk that based on Japan robot toy but in the end I did the project for Ozzy, it was a smoking robot conversion called Dynamo. I don't know if the Alphadrome topic on Dynamo is still around but here is a page on my site about the robot.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/dynamopage.html

post-7-1244217573.jpg

post-7-1244217600.jpg

post-7-1244217625.jpg

post-7-1244217648.jpg

FANTASTIC !! Great engineering John . Perfect application for the elephant motor. All it needs is a Mopar badge and pipes . Oz was as excited about this project as he was with the 71 . Watch out rice robots ,the best that Detroit ever offered is on the rampage . There are a few other Hemi projects under way on the drome. ;)

FANTASTIC !! Great engineering John . Perfect application for the elephant motor. All it needs is a Mopar badge and pipes . Oz was as excited about this project as he was with the 71 . Watch out rice robots ,the best that Detroit ever offered is on the rampage . There are a few other Hemi projects under way on the drome. ;)

As always John outdoes himself & wildly exceeds my expecations.

FYI- The 71 is still in Limbo or the seller has the patience of a saint ...the hurst olds is waiting for a dash harness

that is 6 weeks in the making ( 2 left )

Suppose I'll continue this in off topic one day

I was stokd when John found that color , the 2008 Viper snakeskin green is a dodge dealer item only

& this is pretty dam close .

Was thinking of some rivet detail & 426 hemi lettering just above the legs but my wife said see if you can find some

real emblems . If not I'll find some model decals

Personally think I finally pinned down a direction . Merge robots with my other hobbies / interest

Andy the die cast hemi had a gear in the back that turned the fan /pulley

but I think John bypassed it so don't know how the motor is working

Well don't get too complimentary I still have to get the bill !!!

;)

Robohut...I am in complete and total awe of your creations, I'm beginning to think there is nothing you can't build. You're a real genius! A true artist. Is there any chance of mass marketing some of your original designs for the rest of us? The tin robot world really needs a shot in the arm regarding new designs, and you'd be perfect for that. I'm just curious, what does an average custom robot cost, or is it by strictly gentleman's agreement not to divulge that sort of thing?

John, all it needs is some flame decals or paint striping and it would fit right in with the 3-4M street rods that are in York this weekend and every year this time. If fact, I passed a rod the same color with a small matching trailer just this evening(Friday). :lol:

post-221-1244247338.jpg

Another great project John!!!! You seem to be CRANKING out one a week. This is certainly the highest horsepower piston robot!

A true robot masterpiece John!!!!!! I just watched the youtube clip and he looks even better on the move,,,,,the sound effects give him the final 'edge'.

BRILLIANT!! :)

fantastic conversion, the engine looks as if it belongs right there .

there must be a hotrod vibe about this place at the moment i have one on the go and eagle got all fired up about the ratfink ed roth video i posted so he's doing one as well.

Knowing you the way I do, I'm not surprised by anything you might build, John! It's an amazing blend off two great hobbies....Muscle Cars and Robots! I love it! :lol:

Archived