Home Brewed Retro Raygun

Tinplate6

I'm always thoroughly impressed with Andyman's handiwork, those sculptures are great. Although I'm not quite at that level, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring too. Back about 7 years ago, while I was in Japan, a bunch of folks I knew, were creating a Star Wars fan film called Twilight of the Republic. I played an evil emperor in the ill-fated flick, but I was also one of the prop makers. I created this unnamed stainless steel ray gun for the shoot as my character's sidearm. Originally, it wasn't quite as Buck Rogers as it looks here, but I couldn't resist modifying it. Unfortunately, the movie was never completed due to a lack of funds, but the gun went home with me when we closed up shop.

By the way, if you're curious about the movie, you can see what little exists of the dailies at http://totr.groo.us/totr-index-frameset.htm .

post-656-1243140513.jpg

post-656-1243140528.jpg

post-656-1243140537.jpg

Not at my level? That looks pretty damn cool to me, Tinplate! Nice work.

Thanks Andy, coming from you, that's quite the compliment.

Thats a damn cool gun !! What is the base and the grips from ? Welcome to the club . You sold it on Ebay ?

Nice gun... The film sounds interesting. I couldn't watch the footage -- don't have Windows Media Player, or a converter. But it all sounds like it was a lot of fun to do, and it's too bad you guys weren't able to complete it.

Thats a damn cool gun !! What is the base and the grips from ? Welcome to the club . You sold it on Ebay ?

Thanks Doc, yes it was a lot of fun. Ok Eagle, I'm a sucker for a compliment, I'll divulge my secrets...the grip came from a toy pellet gun, the chrome knob on the grip was an auto accessory, as was the rod under the barrel (it was a chromed door lock pull). The main body of the pistol is a stainless steel thermos. The front of the gun, the big black part, was a rubber electrical outlet insulator (Japanese hardware stores have all kinds of cool stuff!). The barrel is a piece of aluminum plumbing, the blast suppressor is a faucet cap. The fins behind the barrel tip are plastic nail collars and the sight is a re-bent picture hangar. The air cooling holes are brass collets...and viola! There you have it, the cool part was that the pistol was weighted and balanced, so it felt like a real gun. Unfortunately, yes, I did sell out to Ebay, it went in the first few hours, so I guess that was a compliment in itself, hopefully someone is enjoying it, and didn't repair their sink with the parts.

Here's a shot of the un-modified original design, very plain in my opinion.

post-656-1243229928.jpg

This is a promotional still from the production showing me brandishing the weapon, hey, she's a Jedi, what else could I do?

post-656-1243229937.jpg

Archived