To The Stars And Beyond!

Tinplate6

I love space ships and aliens! Ever since I was a pup, I was captivated by the early science fiction movies and comics. This continued into my old man years, and I don't think I'll ever grow out of it. My collection focuses mostly on spaceships and creatures. Most of what I have currently on display is the newer toys. A significant part of the space creatures are the art vinyls produced in Japan, by artists like Mark Nagata, Target Earth or Toygraph. They all rely heavily on classic SciFi artwork, with a modern touch.

post-656-1243066957.jpg

post-656-1243066981.jpg

post-656-1243067004.jpg

post-656-1243067026.jpgmiddle.jpgleft_close.jpgtop3.jpgtop2.jpgtop1.jpgtop4.jpgall.jpg

post-656-1243067036.jpg

post-656-1243067057.jpg

post-656-1243067076.jpg

I love space ships and aliens! Ever since I was a pup, I was captivated by the early science fiction movies and comics. This continued into my old man years, and I don't think I'll ever grow out of it. My collection focuses mostly on spaceships and creatures. Most of what I have currently on display is the newer toys. A significant part of the space creatures are the art vinyls produced in Japan, by artists like Mark Nagata, Target Earth or Toygraph. They all rely heavily on classic SciFi artwork, with a modern touch.

post-656-1243066957.jpg

post-656-1243067057.jpg

TinPlate,

I love your collections. Very good stuff. Tell us a little about the rockets. Expecially the ones on the top shelf. I would like to add these to my collection for sure.

JimK

Neat assortment of toys. Lots of vinyl... I like the new Tara McPhereson fig, as well as those Marmit (?) creatures on the top shelf next to the Men In Black alien.

And the Baltan... Wow! My favorite Ultraman villain. I had a few beautiful translucent ones when I was still collecting vinyl, but they got sold with the rest of that collection. Is that guy vinyl? It's huge!

I also just noticed the two Mars-1 toys. I really love his work! Strange, eerie science fiction toys. I have the Observer (or is it the Explorer... not the one that looks like a ball with arms...). Mine's grey/white. I've also got the series of minis he put out... the green set and the limited edition Comic Con 06 grey set. Have you ever seen his paintings? I'd love to have one... or two... or three...

TinPlate,

I love your collections. Very good stuff. Tell us a little about the rockets. Expecially the ones on the top shelf. I would like to add these to my collection for sure.

JimK

Thanks Jim, they are beauties aren't they? I'm a big fan of the old space serials' rocket ships. Produced by Retro 1-2-3, these models are roughly 27-29 inches long and made of heavy gauge steel! Retro offers them as a set, Ming's Attack ship and Dr. Zarkov's ship. As you can see in the photos they are massive, and heavy, and have smoked plastic windows and removeable magnetic hatches. The photos don't really do them justice, check them out on Retro's website www.retro1-2-3.com

The big blue ship resembling an old Ford is from the WB movie Space Jam, its the Moron Airship, really cool design, and comes with all the little goofy aliens inside.

The small red and white retro spaceship, is the X-11, and its a custom piece I picked up on Ebay, it's 13" long created by a scratch modeler known as "Pro Builder". It's very well designed and surprisingly lightweight!

The red vinyl "frisbee" styled UFO is a promo item for KEDS shoes from the 1960's, it's 7" in circumference and looks pretty neat.

The tall red rocket to the far right on the shelf is a wood model from a Philippine maker of aircraft models.

The red and yellow plastic ship on the far left is a Stem-Lite XY7 Rocket Drink Shaker. These were produced in several colors in the 1950's. The really unusual thing about this one is that all the rocket details; port holes, rivets and ladder, are all molded on the inside of the shaker where you can't see them, not a clue as to why that is.

The small silver vinyl rocket in the back with the figure inside (hard to see in this photo), is a 1970's Japanese toy based on the comic book character called Jetter Mars.

Neat assortment of toys. Lots of vinyl... I like the new Tara McPhereson fig, as well as those Marmit (?) creatures on the top shelf next to the Men In Black alien.

And the Baltan... Wow! My favorite Ultraman villain. I had a few beautiful translucent ones when I was still collecting vinyl, but they got sold with the rest of that collection. Is that guy vinyl? It's huge!

I also just noticed the two Mars-1 toys. I really love his work! Strange, eerie science fiction toys. I have the Observer (or is it the Explorer... not the one that looks like a ball with arms...). Mine's grey/white. I've also got the series of minis he put out... the green set and the limited edition Comic Con 06 grey set. Have you ever seen his paintings? I'd love to have one... or two... or three...

Thanks Doc, yes, the Baltan is vinyl, I love kaiju/monsters and aliens, the bigger, the better. Unfortunately, these Baltans have a common design flaw, the claws are too close to the body, and therefore end up with long scratches in the silver paint job when they rub across the sides of the legs.

The Mars1 figures are very unique in an otherworldly sort of way. As you can see I have both the Mars Observer and the Recon figures, the Mars Recon (the one you described) being the rarest and hardest to find. I also have the small "Invisible Plan" sets in both colorways, rust and moss.

Interestingly enough, the rarest toy is the large black alien with the weapon arm. It comes from the 2001 CGI movie "Final Fantasy-the Spirits Within". Palisades Toys produced a series of 12" scale figures of the main characters. The most interesting however was the Phantom Alien, which towers over the other figures at 19". The toy never got to the production phase as Palisades Toys went out of business. This figure is one of only 3 pre-production samples in existence, it came with an unprinted mock-up box and a certificate of authenticity from Palisades. It's a very neat piece.

Thanks Jim, they are beauties aren't they? I'm a big fan of the old space serials' rocket ships. Produced by Retro 1-2-3, these models are roughly 27-29 inches long and made of heavy gauge steel! Retro offers them as a set, Ming's Attack ship and Dr. Zarkov's ship. As you can see in the photos they are massive, and heavy, and have smoked plastic windows and removeable magnetic hatches. The photos don't really do them justice, check them out on Retro's website www.retro1-2-3.com

The big blue ship resembling an old Ford is from the WB movie Space Jam, its the Moron Airship, really cool design, and comes with all the little goofy aliens inside.

The small red and white retro spaceship, is the X-11, and its a custom piece I picked up on Ebay, it's 13" long created by a scratch modeler known as "Pro Builder". It's very well designed and surprisingly lightweight!

The red vinyl "frisbee" styled UFO is a promo item for KEDS shoes from the 1960's, it's 7" in circumference and looks pretty neat.

The tall red rocket to the far right on the shelf is a wood model from a Philippine maker of aircraft models.

The red and yellow plastic ship on the far left is a Stem-Lite XY7 Rocket Drink Shaker. These were produced in several colors in the 1950's. The really unusual thing about this one is that all the rocket details; port holes, rivets and ladder, are all molded on the inside of the shaker where you can't see them, not a clue as to why that is.

The small silver vinyl rocket in the back with the figure inside (hard to see in this photo), is a 1970's Japanese toy based on the comic book character called Jetter Mars.

Thanks Tinplate,

I looked at the link you gave. I had no idea that they where that big. Or made out of metal for that matter. I thought that they where plastic. A bit cost prohibitive for me also, but cool as they can be. Simply a fantastic, fun collection

JimK

Archived