Awesome Tin Litho Ray Gun

Fineas J. Whoopie

This one ended a few days ago on ebay.....went for $2,350!!

This gun has such great litho and the the box art is damn near perfect.

I suspected it would go for good money but even I was surprised by the final price.

post-143-1242620479.jpg

post-143-1242620523.jpg

:blink: :o What a great water ?pistol! Don, in spite of the economy some people always have deep pockets. Looks like it was right from the factory.

Yep, she's a doozy! One of the all-time greatest tin-litho guns to ever come out of Japan (or anywhere else, for that matter). Such fantastic artwork! Wish I'd had $2300+ to bid. :)

It's clearly related to the Pyro Plastics Space Control Gun, in both name and general shape (with some small differences, like the muzzle).

post-124-1242658225.jpg

It's also related to a metal British gun that came out during the same time period. (I stole this pic from Tinplate's post about rare and unique guns that got away...)

post-124-1242658238.jpg

Interesting that this particular shape got recycled over and over. I'm inclined to believe that the Pyro came first... More often than not, when ray gun clones appear on the other side of the pond, they're copies of U.S. toys. (Not always, but most of the time.) And most of the tin litho guns in Japan came out a bit later than the Pyro, which hit sometime in the early 1950s. (Again, not always... but this one looks a bit later.)

a beautiful lithoed piece,

excuse my total non-knowledge about ray guns, but is this truely a water pistol??

has it a plastic container inside or just all tin?

According to the gun and the box, it's a water pistol. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there's definitely a plastic piece inside the muzzle -- I'm guessing it extends back into the gun itself. Beyond that, I'm not really sure how it it worked as I've never seen one in person before.

but is this truly a water pistol??

Tin and water and never the twain should meet !!!!!!!

Not only is it a rare piece it's a blooming miracle !

Yum Yum!! what a beauty, I've had the light blue tinplate (could almost be described as metal) English version in RED and with the original box, box not very exciting I'm afraid, sadly it was sold with my ray gun collection many years ago.

Anyway guys, talking of toys, mine (31 boxes) are all on the high seas at the moment heading towards Australia... :unsure:

full report later... :unsure:

Noel

Toyman - Yum yum! - I agree. :rolleyes:

Steve - Yesterdays toys has some great old tin guns that are documented no where else. A good number of which rarely pop up for sale. I too immediately recognized this piece from that table full of rayguns. It's a toy that has it all doesn't it?

Funk - There are actually two tin squirt guns in Kitahara's book. I've no idea how they were supposed to work either, but knowing the Japanese, I bet it worked just fine. ;)

post-143-1242713878.jpg

post-143-1242713937.jpg

Archived