Doc Atomic's Collection Of Robots And Ray Guns

dratomic

Just think of all the toys on your shelves which were sold likely a few blocks from you back in the day at Macy's and Bloomingdale's as well as F.A.O. Schwartz. At the time way back when you could've likely ordered the whole collection for a hundred and fifty bucks or so! :P

Actually, a lot of those old toy shops and manufacturing offices are located through the tri-state (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) area. I've always thought it'd be fun to track them down, see what they've become, and then post a few pics of the journey. Google Maps has allowed me to do this a little bit -- I found the old Remco HQ... it's an old, abandoned lot, now. :(

Come to think of it, the project might be too depressing...

Actually, a lot of those old toy shops and manufacturing offices are located through the tri-state (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) area. I've always thought it'd be fun to track them down, see what they've become, and then post a few pics of the journey. Google Maps has allowed me to do this a little bit -- I found the old Remco HQ... it's an old, abandoned lot, now. :(

Come to think of it, the project might be too depressing...

.....uhhh,....you may be in one of THOSE buildings yourself maybe??? :blink:

Morbius said:
.....uhhh,....you may be in one of THOSE buildings yourself maybe??? :blink:

Okay, that would be cool. But unlikely. My building is about 100 years old, and it's always been some sort of residential building. So unless there was an illegal sweatshop spitting out toy space guns...

However, there's a building on 23rd street -- about two blocks from where I used to live -- that has painted on its side, about eight or nine stories up, a sign saying "SOMETHING Novelty Company." I can't remember it exactly at the moment, but clearly it was the headquarters for some sort of toy and novelty company. I don't know why I never did any research into it, but when I get a chance, I'll try to see if it was anything interesting. These days there's a Dunkin' Donuts or something on the first floor, and the rest of the building is either offices or residential -- can't remember offhand.

If you want to see the old Remco property, go to google maps and plug in the following address: 1197 McCarter Highway, Newark, New Jersey. Then click on the STREET VIEW button and wander around. Let me know if you notice any walkie talkies lying around... 😉

Archived