Doc Atomic's Collection Of Robots And Ray Guns

dratomic

It's been a while and the collection's mutated a lot since I last posted any pics. So I asked Brian to delete my old "Private Collections" page so that I could start over. If anyone has any questions, or would like close ups, just give me a shout.

First, a shot of as much of the collection as I could fit into one photo...

post-124-1242003475.jpg

The robots (and a couple space men and Daleks)...

post-124-1242003490.jpg

Boxes, some robots, and a rare space rifle...

post-124-1242003502.jpg

Space guns...

post-124-1242003520.jpg

post-124-1242003529.jpg

post-124-1242003540.jpg

More space guns...

post-124-1242003549.jpg

post-124-1242003560.jpg

Walkie Talkies, Andybots, and Henk's Gustav robot...

post-124-1242003597.jpg

And some space helmets, another set of walkie talkies, my vintage space glasses, and the Enterprise...

guns_bottom_right2.jpgguns_top_right.jpgfull_collection.jpgguns_bottom_left.jpgguns_left_shelf.jpgguns_top_left.jpgboxes.jpgfull_robots.jpghelmets_left.jpgwalkie_talkies_right.jpg

post-124-1242003589.jpg

Good to see again. Love the small chrome plated robots. A nice collection within the collection. :)

Doc...Doc, yer making me look bad. No, seriously, you have some fantastic stuff, and VERY professionally displayed! You'll have to hook me up on the glass shelf set-up, it's real clean looking. You have some real show stoppers there, the Space Cadet rifle?! Oh man that's a beaut! Not one, but TWO Pyrotomic Disintegrators, in mint condition no less?...Oh, yer killing me. Wow, I'm not worthy. Check out the Solar Scout rifle and the Tomy Ray complete with the front sight! Not to mention that beautiful Buck Rogers bazooka of yours...Ok, I'm getting giddy...someone get me a drink of water. Your robots are nothing to sneeze at either, very cool. Whew, a feast for the eyes, the whole collection, really amazing...thanks for sharing Doc, definitely worth the trip! So many toys, so little time, ain't it the truth.

Super!! Now my question to you is, what are you using to hold up the ray guns on walls? I'm a total sucker for vintage space-themed glassware. I have a set of two of the ones you have. Great conversation pieces when guests come over. Love those walkie-talkie displays!

Super!! Now my question to you is, what are you using to hold up the ray guns on walls? I'm a total sucker for vintage space-themed glassware. I have a set of two of the ones you have. Great conversation pieces when guests come over. Love those walkie-talkie displays!

Hmmm, good point. From what I can see, my guess would be Docs' using small metal hooks that are pinned into the white cabinets, not unlike a peg board. Am I close there Doc?

Glad you enjoy the pics, guys and gals.

Tinplate: Thanks for the kind words! They mean a lot coming from a ray gun collector such as yourself. To answer your question -- the glass shelves are Detolfs, from Ikea. They cost about $45-$65 each -- really an excellent solution for displaying toys. They come with glass doors, too, but I don't use them. Their only problem is a lack of adjustable shelves. Otherwise, no real complaints.

Allison: Actually, I use static electricity to hang the guns to the walls. I rub my cat against them until they give off the appropriate charge. Works great, though the cat's got a few complaints...

Okay, sorry. Yes, I use small hooks made out of different gauge wire. It's pushed through the board and then hot-glued into place. (More or less.) It works pretty well, but I had some trouble making it as even as I'd have liked, so some of the guns are a bit crooked. Still, all in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

I like the space glasses...I don't spend a lot of money on them, I pick them up whenever they sort of fall in my lap. Most of them came from a store here in the city called Alphaville. There are a few others I'd particularly like to grab, but I'm not in any rush. Which ones do you have?

Which ones do you have?
From the left, I have a few of the 3rd and 6th glasses. Probably the 6th one is my fav. Got them off of Ebay years ago. And I haven't dropped one yet! (knock on wood)

I rub my cat against them until they give off the appropriate charge

:lol: Now that would be a sight to see! I'm assuming the way you hung your guns is pretty much a permanent display if you have to poke wire through the wood/glueing/etc. How many time did you have to lay them out just to get them the way you liked it before you wired them up?

Your display is even more impressive than from before, Doc.

I'm sure I'll be in NYC this summer visiting my daughter. I may have to stop by.

Looks great Doc! Your ray gun collection continues to inspire me. I like the IKEA shelves and cabinets. I think they offer the best bang for your buck. I see you used some of the upside down chalk holders. They look really clean. I was very dissapointed to see that they discontinued those.

Andy -- of course you're welcome to come by! Just give me a heads up before you get into town so I can make sure I'm around.

ER&S -- I admit it, I stole the idea from your display! :) But I had no idea they were being discontinued. Too bad -- they provided a nice display solution. Oh well... Glad I grabbed mine while I could.

Allison -- Yeah, the guns on the walls are permanent (well... they can be removed, but the hooks are stuck in place). I spent a while laying them out... Unfortunately, it was a couple years ago and I had a lot fewer guns. It worked at the time, but I'd like to go back and rearrange them now that I've got so many additional toys. Whatever logic I employed in displaying the guns has pretty much gone out the window by now...

What can I say that hasn't been said? It's a stunning collection displayed in an extraordinary way and gets my eyes locked onto the 'artifacts' every time especially those guns and the amazing colours of the plastic. Your display is very artistically done and befitting of a New York home.

Just think of all the toys on your shelves which were sold likely a few blocks from you back in the day at Macy's and Bloomingdale's as well as F.A.O. Schwartz. At the time way back when you could've likely ordered the whole collection for a hundred and fifty bucks or so! :P

Thanks for the update, keeps the interest up for all of us.

Archived