Display: Plastic Robots Yellowing

plasticaugie

Hi, I have been collecting plastic robots for a few years now and have about 25 or so. I am starting to worry about yellowing from the sun and fading. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and still display them?

Also, all the reproduction robots have been tin, is there any chance we can see repro plastic robots?

Thanks, Augie

Try UV Blocking film on the windows where the robots are kept. Or just black out all the windows. The Sun HATES Plastic. Plastic comes from Petroleum which comes from plant life which grew using SUNSHINE. The Sun just wants it's stuff back, yellowed, brown and cracked.

Mike, where can you get UV-blocking film? The truth is, the sun's pretty bad for everything I collect -- tin robots, tin and plastic ray guns, paperback books, movie posters...

Even though I keep my shelves out of direct sunlight, I still try to play it safe -- consequently, I haven't opened up my shades in about 2 years. I'd really like to see the outside world again... :)

Thanks for the info.

UV - while we're on this subject, i just want to add that if you display your stuff in cabinets and have HALOGEN lights - switch em off right away. halogen fades stuff fast - high uv output! i remember seeing some of our forum members pictures of some nice collections in display cabinets.

if you have to, make sure they're the kind with UV filter lenses. any kind of lights are actually a no-go - Petrochemical Degradation. So the best way to preserve stuff is to vault them away. but then again we cant just hide em all away can we? these are toys to be admired and shown. so be safe.

for more on Petrochemical Degradation and UV filters -

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/...s/UVfilter.html

There was a post a few months ago with a link to a business that specialized in lighting and stuff for collections. Oh, there it is above me--sorry!

• Brian.. changed the title to Display: Plastic Robots Yellowing

Archived