Giant Robo And Tiny Bots

Tinplate6

You know something? This website is frighteningly addictive, I can't stay off of it. With that in mind, I've decided to post a few shots of some of my robots. Now, unfortunately, this is the 1970's and later section of my stuff, over 80% are from Japan. Again, as with most of my toys, the really old ones are in storage. My robots number about 340 pieces, from a three foot tall T-28 to a tiny Japanese diecast only 1 inch in height. Admittedly, I do not have as many of the golden age toys that most of you probably own, but, I make due. The price of the old stuff is through the roof with no end in sight, and even well made repros are getting pricey. My area of collecting? Well, almost any robot toy is acceptable. I prefer the bigger toys, but I have found that they are taking up a lot of room, so I've picked up smaller ones by necessity. Now I realize that most of the "purists" will find these toys a bit of a yawn, but it's all I have to show at the moment.

Anyway, enough whining...*sigh*. Here, without further ado are a sampling of my robots, it's a group photo and most of the small stuff is hard to see, but you'll get the idea.

post-656-1241922898.jpggroup_photo.jpg

Sweet! Nicely displayed! Love those two Tomy robots, as well as the Dr. Who robot on the center shelf. Is that one of the Godaiken (or is it Bandai? I can never remember...) robots on the far right? And what's the large Machinder-esque robot to the right of the gold Tomy?

I can see why you'd want one of those Bad Robot figures -- it'd fit nicely in with what you're currently displaying.

Oh, I wouldn't worry so much about showing off new toys -- most of the collectors on this board love toy robots regardless of their particular age, and it's always fun to see how each person puts together his or her collection. We might collect different things (new vs. old, tin vs. plastic, mix and match all of the above) but it's not hard to appreciate a cool toy!

Sweet! Nicely displayed! Love those two Tomy robots, as well as the Dr. Who robot on the center shelf. Is that one of the Godaiken (or is it Bandai? I can never remember...) robots on the far right? And what's the large Machinder-esque robot to the right of the gold Tomy?

I can see why you'd want one of those Bad Robot figures -- it'd fit nicely in with what you're currently displaying.

Oh, I wouldn't worry so much about showing off new toys -- most of the collectors on this board love toy robots regardless of their particular age, and it's always fun to see how each person puts together his or her collection. We might collect different things (new vs. old, tin vs. plastic, mix and match all of the above) but it's not hard to appreciate a cool toy!

Well Doc, the blue robot on the top shelf, far right in the photo is indeed a Godaikin. It is the "Messenger of the Sun - Tetsujin28", produced in 1980 by Popy. It stands an impressive 16.5 inches tall and is enameled die cast metal and plastic, the largest version of the toy which came in 3 different sizes. The figure is surprisingly heavy, even for a die cast.

The jumbo directly to the left of T-28 is "Capsule Robo G" from the Astro Mu space ranger series. Created by Nakajima in 1974, it is a 24 inch, blown in mold plastic giant. Rockets could be fired from 4 launchers mounted on it's shoulders and hands. The head is removeable, so you can place one of the Astro Mu squad inside. These are becoming fairly difficult to find in good condition, but rarer still are the smaller characters that fit inside.

post-656-1241988320.jpg post-656-1241988332.jpg

post-656-1241988344.jpg post-656-1241988355.jpg

I appreciate your openness to the new robots on the market today, and as many as I might have, I'm still jealous of the old guard, who proudly display their precious tinplate automatons of yesteryear. Who knows, I just might get lucky someday and find one of the "gang of five" for a measly $300...not bloody likely.

Okay, I feel dumb for not having recognized the T-28 piece! It's one of my favorite early Godaiken figures... When I was a kid, those were the dream toys (I was brought up on Transformers, and to me, these guys were the ultimate Japanese robot toys). BEAUTIFUL.

And the Nakajima... That's a great piece, too. You talk about being jealous of the tinplate stuff, but the Astro-Mu figures are considered by many collectors of Japanese vinyl toys to be holy grails of character figures. They're really rare... This robot is a wonderful example -- and you're right, he's getting really hard to find.

(Have you seen the Astro-Mu figures themselves? Translucent and metallic vinyl with all sorts of bits and pieces stuck in them. Hard, hard, HARD to find. I know one dealer who had two of them, wanted over a thousand bucks each. Phew!)

You have the type of collection I really enjoy seeing -- toys that might fall outside my own collecting parameters, but are still toys that I absolutely LOVE. :)

Ok, I will hijack this thread too.

You don't need TWO tomy giant robots do you? I could take one off your hands ;) I have been looking for one for years now.

I keep my astro mu inside my Robo G. He is a repop from Marusan and serves me well filling in the hollow Robo G. The other two little guys are Nakajima alien figures that are pack-ins with Robo G. The sparkling stuff inside the astro mu figure? Pipe cleaners! It looks like a preschool arts and crafts project.

I added the pic of the astro mu to my collection page.

Great looking Display. I see we have a Cyberman and Gort along with a Wall-e. And yes very addictive in a nice way. :D

T-6,,,,,,,No yawning here !...........I love those type of robots,I dont think you will find many 'purists' as you put it on This board.

If I had the space I could find room for any of your robots..Like plastique I particulary like the big Giant Robo's ,,also the giant T-28 is very

impressive.......All in all a very 'refreshing' collection any robot collector would be proud to own..

• 2 weeks later...

T-6,,,,,,,No yawning here !...........I love those type of robots,I dont think you will find many 'purists' as you put it on This board.

If I had the space I could find room for any of your robots..Like plastique I particulary like the big Giant Robo's ,,also the giant T-28 is very

impressive.......All in all a very 'refreshing' collection any robot collector would be proud to own..

Thanks Spark, and all of you. I do occasionally get a case of "tin envy" when looking at your posts, but I'm happy with these.

If it makes you feel better, I've got plastic envy every time I look at those Tomy robots (though I've no clue where I'd put them!) and die-cast envy every time I look at that T-28.

I guess it's true what they they say, the grass is always greener... ;)

Archived