The Tip Of The Iceberg

Tinplate6

Enough talk, it's time to bring out the big guns! Well, actually, it's the medium sized ones, and some really little ones...but, you get the picture. My collection encompasses about 179 ray guns, rifles and blasters, beginning with the "33 Repeater" from the 1930's, and the Buck Rogers guns, through to the contemporary toys. Now, I realize most of you die-hard collectors probably feel that no guns worth having were made after 1960. However, I'm here to tell you that there were plenty of classic "styled" guns produced in recent years. I do agree that a good ray gun must have certain attributes to be "worthy" of collecting, for example; heat dispersing vanes, tail fins, a gun sight, multiple blast protectors, dial-in death levels, and power scale registers, among other things...you know, the basics! So, I always try to find one or two of these preferred accessories on the guns that I buy. Unfortunately, many of the golden oldies are packed away, but here is a sampling of my interstellar arsenal, I hope you find some favorites.

guns4.jpg

guns2.jpg

guns.jpg

guns5.jpg

guns6.jpg

guns7.jpg

post-656-1241859937.jpg

post-656-1241859947.jpg

post-656-1241859956.jpg

post-656-1241859971.jpg

post-656-1241859982.jpg

post-656-1241859995.jpg

Great collection -- I see a few space guns that I'm missing and would love to own (Pow'r Pop gun, Rex Mars Sparking pistol, the chrome one above the Hubley, and the tiny red one underneath and to the left of the Pyro). Wonderfully displayed, too! I particularly like how mixing the newer and older toys demonstrates an evolution in ray gun design... These toys have a long history, and your collection really shows it.

Thanks for posting.

Wow, T6, great collection! Always glad to see another raygun collector. I see a lot of familiar faces, but would love to have some I don't have including the green Atom Buster. Also a nice group of contemporary rayguns. What the heck is that green, black and silver gun in the next to last photo? Where are you from? Perhaps you get guns we don't see. ;)

Very nice, Tin! Are those guns on the wall held with velcro straps?

You are correct my learned colleague, those are velcro straps. Displaying a collection is a delicate balancing act to be sure. You want them out, but lying them down, as some of mine are, makes them difficult to see (unless, of course, you pick them up), displaying them vertically requires either a stand (which I do have ideas on, and hope to someday produce) but the stand must be adjustable, one size does not fit all. A peg board is, well, better suited in the machine shop or garage. I thought velcro was easy to hook up, easy to open, for close examination, and would not scratch the tin litho as the fuzzy side is against the gun. I have also used clear fishing line at times, because the velcro does obscure some of the gun, the nylon line is almost invisible. However, it is an ongoing process.

Phil R said:
Wow, T6, great collection! Always glad to see another raygun collector. I see a lot of familiar faces, but would love to have some I don't have including the green Atom Buster. Also a nice group of contemporary rayguns. What the heck is that green, black and silver gun in the next to last photo? Where are you from? Perhaps you get guns we don't see. 😉

Ah, good question that...the gun is called an "Alien TV Channel Changer"...yup, it's actually a single function remote control! This odd little item came from "across the pond", our friends in the UK. The gun is 8" long, and made by Paladone Products Ltd.. It only has one function, it will either change channels, one at a time, or turn your set on and off, with a satisfying "pa-chow" of a plasma beam from the internal speaker. Actually, I just loved the retro cartoon styling, it sells for around $14 US and can be found often on Ebay.

post-656-1241903699.jpg

AlienTVChannelChanger_box.jpg

Oh, one more PS. if anyone wants to see any close ups, I would happily oblige! All you have to do is ask. Additionally, I have all my toys cataloged so if you would like to see the listing, please just ask...you guys are pretty cool, I can't wait to look at all your collections!

Phil R said:
Sorry, I'm familiar with the changer. I meant this gun. 😉

Oh, THAT gun...it's the latest in a long series of Toy Story - Buzz Lightyear guns. So far I have seen 2 bubble guns, a dart gun, two electronic guns, a matched set of excellent infrared guns and a really weird plush gun. This one is a bubble/dart gun combo called the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Gun, produced in 2007, it is 7" long has an internal fan for the blower and a reservoir for the soap, the top gun sight has the dart launcher on it with a separate trigger. It came with a bottle of soap solution and three soft darts. Here are photos of the Buzz guns I own.

post-656-1241913138.jpg

post-656-1241913115.jpg

post-656-1241913123.jpgbuzz1.jpgbuzz2.jpgbuzz4.jpgbuzz5.jpg

post-656-1241913130.jpg

Great Collection!!!! The Buzz lightyear guns are cool. They are newer but with all the charm of the classics. The Ideal rifle is one of my favorites.

You guys are too kind, I sincerely appreciate the compliments. This is very cool for me as I finally have someone to share all this with who actually understands it (the wife is still baffled). I have seen some of the other collections and they are great too. Doc, yours is a piece of work and a labor of love I'm sure. I need to check out the rest of them, maybe I can learn some tricks from the old-timers.

But don't touch that dial! Wait, there's more...As I mentioned, due to space restrictions in our new home, many pieces are packed up. However, for every auction I win on Ebay, I keep what I call, a one-shot of each gun, that's the photo the seller posts, and I figure since I won the auction, I get to keep the picture too. While going through old data files I found several of the pictures. So, here is a virtual cornucopia of some of my other guns. I won't go into descriptions now, but if inquiring minds want to know, just ask...enjoy!

post-656-1242027293.jpg post-656-1242027282.jpg post-656-1242027303.jpg

post-656-1242027318.jpg post-656-1242027328.jpg post-656-1242027341.jpg000_5174.jpg_BN3gecQBmk___KGrHgoH_DMEjlLlvjJvBJrzRioIbQ___1.jpg2a98_1.jpg24Space_Gun_RED_detail.jpg138e_1.jpg297_1.jpg0710_1.jpg

post-656-1242027354.jpg

Archived