A Return To The Umagi Sands...

ToyMemories

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 50's is a bit early for my first attempt at cracking this but I'm leaning towards maybe the first Batman toy ? Why ? you may ask..Mainly it was the pictures that drew me towards this idea,,then when you hinted at 'click' as a possible clue that put me off the idea,,,,,until a few seconds later I thought bats use 'clicks' to [ see] their way around.. :unsure:

Anyway it's late now and I'm not 100% confident on my guess,,but l thought it would be a good thing to show I'm still in the game. ;)

That's right - it's a 1950's toy so Mr. Flash or Manmos King are out.

Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm

I know it seems to you that these clues are almost too obvious ToyMemories but believe me, on this side of the puzzle - it's tough!!

How about letting us in on what kind of toy it is - robot, astronaut, space vehicle or raygun?

Or maybe the manufacturer?

.................anything? :unsure:

I know it seems to you that these clues are almost too obvious ToyMemories but believe me, on this side of the puzzle - it's tough!!

How about letting us in on what kind of toy it is - robot, astronaut, space vehicle or raygun?

Or maybe the manufacturer?

.................anything? :unsure:

Alright, alright...

Maybe it is too hard? I could swear the clues all point in one direction, but maybe because I know the direction my feelings are off... :wacko:

Blech nice picture, but you're still off... did I say nice picture? ;) (no Mattel)

Eagle nope, Big Loo is early '60's... I would love that prototype, though!

Spark that's pretty nifty reasoning ;) (you other guys should try Spark's process!), but let's just say that the symbolism I used is generally obvious, or disguised a little (nothing that requires a great amount of deduction). So apply that approach to one set of clues, and it goes a long way... and sorry, it's not Batman, it is "space related" (I fear doing this with a non-space toy here, as everyone would probably lynch me!). I do like your reasoning, though!

Fin! Ok, ok... I will tell you it's not a robot and not an astronaut. It is an item from the USA. I think when you finally see it, you'll see the difficulty in using a pic of some sort, I think it would be REAL obvious. I like Joe's highlighting clues from the story. If I was on the "trying to figure it out" side (thank God I'm not! LOL) I'd take Joe's lead and maybe list the clues and see if they point to details that make an item stand out... I'm kind of surprised Joe hasn't figured it out yet (his detective work was pretty good there).

Should I do something like begin to start making the clues bold in the story one-by-one? (I'm not sure how much time a post has until you can no longer edit it)

Robobob yes, that clue refers to a person or character (somewhat well-known, I think especially if you grew up in the 1960's or 1970's), and something he's known to say... (sorry, not Mercury, but that was a good guess)...

Ok, I've decided I'm going to try a picture, and go ahead with the highlighted clues idea (thanks Joe!). Looks like it's about 4 or 5 days before the post can no longer be edited, so I'm sure you guys can do it :) (besides, I'm really dying to give it up already!) And don't kill me if the pic here doesn't help much! :ph34r:

post-526-1241409543.jpg

Here's the story (clues will be highlighted one by one, randomly) for the next few days (we'll start out with a couple): :o

Post #4:

Ah, dear friends Fineas, and Logan (you old wolverine), 'tis been many a cycle since last I have seen!

Now dear Fin on last outing, good fortune had shone; an unlucky number, unearthed on your own.

Yet now, on the next quest, luck no longer bad; for something you know, Fin, it may be its' Dad...

Extract the trip's dust now, and then I'll retire; as late the hour grows, with no sleep I'll expire...

(My good friend, Doc A please don't give it away; as you know a little, which may go a long way...)

Post #9:

I was tired, no let's say quite weary... too many fruitless, redundant missions to places no trooper in their right mind would ever think twice about (except to mutter curses and prayers they would not visit). Incomprehensibly absurd objectives with no reward, left me, well somewhat disgruntled...

It was later in the day that they dropped me off in the Martian Western Quadrant, full suit and rediculously weighty expeditionary pack (of course, containing such objects, tools and utensils that I really don't believe most troopers even know their purpose), and once again it was a solo mission... I've been zone dropped likely 100 times or more, yet still I always find myself staring at the ship as it departs, almost like a child, in awe of the wonder of it all; a magnificent cylinder soaring into the heavens, it's fins seemingly floating along beside it. Truly amazing.

I shook off the trance, and turned to face my past... the cold (well cold, in an emotionless sort of way) searing Umagi sands... My mission this trip? Ha! According to Patrol Command, it seems that the Klevage (yeah, I still snicker at the name those scaly-legged b@$t@rds adopted) had been up to their old piracy tricks, and had been raiding supply barges and making off with z-rations. Now, every trooper worth their creds would never go near z-rations (we'd rather eat curdle-turds if given the choice!), but the new guys needed this stuff for sustenance (hey, we all had to eat it when we were greeners). Now, it was my job... my punishment? To seek out, um... semi-fresh... how do I put this? Klevage drippings... Ugh. All necessary to test and confirm their theft (nothing, and I mean nothing is like z-rations). And their last reported planet-based camp was, you guessed it! The good ol' Umagi sands of Mars.

I shook my head (as the heat began baking my brain), and began walking those ancient dunes...

Post #12:

Well, apparently I'd forgotten the intensity of the Martian heat, and it's draining power magnified by the endless sands. I fell, face down; drool and sweat intermingling on my face, and faded into oblivion...

I don't know how long it was before I came out of my comatose state, but I remember being delusional; a bell chimed... then again... and again... sounded like a church bell. No, no, not a church, it was just my thermal indicator telling me the damned heat was too much for it! The ever present clicking of my nutrometer tapping away... I couldn't see straight, the sweat in my eyes compounding my blurred vision with pain. About then, I really thought I might have expired, and was in some strange hell. I tried to think positively of my faith, the cross (and what it stood for). That helped, and soon after I could see again- a full moon in the reddened sky... the horizen, straight and true... and the sands... the worthless sands...

Well, I was a soldier of sorts, and on a mission (albeit an absurd one), so I lifted my weary carcass and began my search. Now, I don't know exactly what was going on, but something sparkled in front of me. Lots of something. Was it real, or could it be remaining effects from my recent collapse? I trudged ahead and reached into those infernal sands; and in my hand appeared to be a thousand tiny diamonds! Hahahahaha... holy Claxus, I'd not go back empty handed this time! Or was my mind just playing tricks on me... I didn't care, I was going to bring my prize back, whether it be treasure, or trash... I inserted it into a collection cannister; wound the lock-timer (always necessary, as sometimes the vibrations from the ship's thrust can trigger the release mechanism), and with a permanent smile on my face went on to search for drippings... Ever present was the overpowering redness, like parched blood, of this miserable place...

Post #29:

Flying feet, what's he proclaim;

Incomplete, but still a name.

It can and then cannot apply,

For maybe it's another guy...

It could be this was first intent,

But ended up a different gent.

First of all I'm doing my 'no confidence ' bit because as I'm writing this post I dont think my latest guess looks anything like the new pic :unsure:

but it does fit a few of your clues,,,,,,it's from the 50's,,it's not a robot ,and it's plastic,,it features a moon..So with all that it got me thinking of the Baranger Motion Rocket 1952,,,also know as 'The Honeymoon Rocket'

post-540-1241432032.jpg

"Flying feet, what's he proclaim;"

Mercury ? :unsure:

In Greek he was called Hermes, messenger of the ancient gods.

Nowadays Hermes is the name of a few space related things.

1. Hermes is the name of an asteroid

2. Hermes is a surface-to-air missile/rocket

3. Hermes was a proposed spaceplane designed by the French Centre national d'études spatiales in 1975,

and later by the ESA, which was superficially similar to the US X-20.

Why, Oh why do I fear It´s wrong? :huh: :lol:

post-544-1241460547.jpg

I'm thinking some kind of Marx prototype long weapon (rifle). One that was originally made for Earth-bound use, but then modified to withstand the rigors of outer sapce, perhaps even the Umagi Sands!

Will give this more thought tonight.

Spark that is a really, really cool item (I'd love to have one too!)! But off-track... (sorry) think more of a toy, somewhat basic...

Blech good try, but wrong guy... (it's not a god) think about someone that fits that is known to say something, kind of more on the human level. Oh, and by the way, because of your diligent research, attention to detail, friendly manner, and appreciation of interesting facts (and of course, love of toys) you are hereby appointed as the official ToyMemories archive curator (German Division)! :D

Glad to have you on board, Klaus! ;)

Joe ever the masterful detective, no comment; keep those gears spinning and it should fall into place!

Everyone note additional clues highlighted in my last post!

The flying feet reference makes me think of the Flash but I can't for the life of me think of something he was known to say.

I'm going to make a guess here, some clues make sense for this item and some don't (or I can't figure out how they do)

Rex Mars Planet Patrol Sparkling Pistol?

The flying feet reference makes me think of the Flash but I can't for the life of me think of something he was known to say.

I'm going to make a guess here, some clues make sense for this item and some don't (or I can't figure out how they do)

Rex Mars Planet Patrol Sparkling Pistol?

Fin... :huh:

Archived