A Return To The Umagi Sands...

ToyMemories

They sent me back... those pristine primadonna's in their Kevlar leisure suits sent me back... to the place where I'd hoped (oh, Lord, how I'd hoped!) to never return... on another meaningless mission...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, dear friends Fineas, and Logan (you old wolverine), 'tis been many a cycle since last I have seen!

Now dear Fin on last outing, good fortune had shone; an unlucky number, unearthed on your own.

Yet now, on the next quest, luck no longer bad; for something you know, Fin, it may be its' Dad...

Extract the trip's dust now, and then I'll retire; as late the hour grows, with no sleep I'll expire...

(My good friend, Doc A please don't give it away; as you know a little, which may go a long way...)

(picture posting difficulty appears to be fixed now, thanks Brian!)

post-526-1241056463.jpg

Ahhhhhh ToyMemories, seems maybe you have been watching that Lemon Pipers video too much as of late.

Anyway, love and piece Grasshopper !!!! B)

There! Friends Funk and yes, Andy, and Joe, salutations!

I truly do hope to breach your expectations...

(now Funk, I'm not sure of those lemons or pipers;

but I could tell you stories of dreaded dune vipers!)

Alas now, hour grows later, and is coming the time;

When we get to the story, yet leave out the rhyme...

I was tired, no let's say quite weary... too many fruitless, redundant missions to places no trooper in their right mind would ever think twice about (except to mutter curses and prayers they would not visit). Incomprehensibly absurd objectives with no reward, left me, well somewhat disgruntled...

It was later in the day that they dropped me off in the Martian Western Quadrant, full suit and rediculously weighty expeditionary pack (of course, containing such objects, tools and utensils that I really don't believe most troopers even know their purpose), and once again it was a solo mission... I've been zone dropped likely 100 times or more, yet still I always find myself staring at the ship as it departs, almost like a child, in awe of the wonder of it all; a magnificent cylinder soaring into the heavens, it's fins seemingly floating along beside it. Truly amazing.

I shook off the trance, and turned to face my past... the cold (well cold, in an emotionless sort of way) searing Umagi sands... My mission this trip? Ha! According to Patrol Command, it seems that the Klevage (yeah, I still snicker at the name those scaly-legged b@$t@rds adopted) had been up to their old piracy tricks, and had been raiding supply barges and making off with z-rations. Now, every trooper worth their creds would never go near z-rations (we'd rather eat curdle-turds if given the choice!), but the new guys needed this stuff for sustenance (hey, we all had to eat it when we were greeners). Now, it was my job... my punishment? To seek out, um... semi-fresh... how do I put this? Klevage drippings... Ugh. All necessary to test and confirm their theft (nothing, and I mean nothing is like z-rations). And their last reported planet-based camp was, you guessed it! The good ol' Umagi sands of Mars.

I shook my head (as the heat began baking my brain), and began walking those ancient dunes...

That game just begun - one more time.

A shoot in the dark ... to find long lost parts. Martian discs viewed through a scope.

(hey WJN and Blech! :) )

Blech, yeah, it took me long enough to find another treasure out in those darn sands! That shot was... a miss.

Our story continues:

Well, apparently I'd forgotten the intensity of the Martian heat, and it's draining power magnified by the endless sands. I fell, face down; drool and sweat intermingling on my face, and faded into oblivion...

I don't know how long it was before I came out of my comatose state, but I remember being delusional; a bell chimed... then again... and again... sounded like a church bell. No, no, not a church, it was just my thermal indicator telling me the damned heat was too much for it! The ever present clicking of my nutrometer tapping away... I couldn't see straight, the sweat in my eyes compounding my blurred vision with pain. About then, I really thought I might have expired, and was in some strange hell. I tried to think positively of my faith, the cross (and what it stood for). That helped, and soon after I could see again- a full moon in the reddened sky... the horizen, straight and true... and the sands... the worthless sands...

Well, I was a soldier of sorts, and on a mission (albeit an absurd one), so I lifted my weary carcass and began my search. Now, I don't know exactly what was going on, but something sparkled in front of me. Lots of something. Was it real, or could it be remaining effects from my recent collapse? I trudged ahead and reached into those infernal sands; and in my hand appeared to be a thousand tiny diamonds! Hahahahaha... holy Claxus, I'd not go back empty handed this time! Or was my mind just playing tricks on me... I didn't care, I was going to bring my prize back, whether it be treasure, or trash... I inserted it into a collection cannister; wound the lock-timer (always necessary, as sometimes the vibrations from the ship's thrust can trigger the release mechanism), and with a permanent smile on my face went on to search for drippings... Ever present was the overpowering redness, like parched blood, of this miserable place...

post-526-1241073183.jpg

Eagle the clues, man, the clues! :ph34r:

Hey, Allison! Welcome to my world... bwahhahahaha!!!

(sorry, can't help myself :wacko: )

Actually, it's not that strange (or maybe it is?) we did this once before (I think 2007?) when I found a really cool prototype (Tom Corbett Atomic Rifle, one of my favorite pieces!), and made it into a game to see who could figure out what it was. (check in the "private collections" section to see the the odd stuff I love)

Just gotta find the clues and piece it together! And, I made it easy this time! :blink:

Archived