Mechanical Gyros For Robby

robothut

I decided to add mecahnical gyros to the spair Robby in the crate. Also to update some of the resin parts to brass and aluminum. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing how working gyo's can be done. First here are some shots of the new machined parts. The aluminum coil that goes on top the brass gyro bell, 4 aluminum Eye Beemers and the clear plastic gyro main parts.

post-7-1240692413.jpg

post-7-1240692466.jpg

post-7-1240692503.jpg

Next you have to locate a gear head motor that can be modified to have a hollow center drive shaft. In the past I have used surplus automotive power window motors because they were very quite, small and powerfull. This time I could not find a surplus power window motor but did find this unit. I took thew motor apart and chucked the solid drive shaft in the mini lathe, this made drilling a 1/4 inch hole threw the 5/16 shaft easy. This way I could place in a 1/4 brass tube as the new drive shaft to rotate the brass gyro bell. Then inside the 1/4 inch brass tube that rotates I placed a smaller brass tube that does not rotate. This smaller tube is for mounting the upper aluminum fin part and the dome light. The dome light wires pass threw the tube. I mounted the motor assembly to a wood mounting plate.

post-7-1240693544.jpg

post-7-1240693619.jpg

post-7-1240693660.jpg

Building up the gyros takes alot of time. First you have to paint the white rings in the turned in grooves of the claer plastic main parts, then start to build and fit all the white hoops. Also you must build the mount at the base of the gyro that will allow you to attach a drive shaft and gear. I made these parts on the mini lath.

post-7-1240693989.jpg

post-7-1240694082.jpg

My brass bell is turned from a block of brass, it makes for a real nice bell but if you were interested in keeping the weight down as they were on the origional Robby prop then you would spin your brass bell like they did. Spinning metal in to bells and such is a art form. Basicly you start with a wood master bell that is chucked in a lath or mill, then you bolt a thin metal plate to the top of this wood form. As the wood and metal spin around you work the metal with a tool that slowly stretches the metal until it forms to the wood master. Then you have a nice hollow brass bell. So I chose not to learn this spinning art form, my bell is hollow, about 1/6 all around. I mounted some brass tubes for the gyro drive shafts to run in and built up some support with plastic lathed parts. This also makes them look like the origionals. The small gears and drive shafts are test fitted and checked for smooth operation with the center main gear that does not rotate. So you can see that if the center gear does not rotate and the bell does then all three of the gyro gear shafts will rotate.

post-7-1240694690.jpg

post-7-1240694794.jpg

post-7-1240694848.jpg

post-7-1240695435.jpg

post-7-1240695483.jpg

Next uncrate your Robby Head. What you don't have a robby in a crate? Well drop me an email , have I got a deal for you. Once you have the head out then take your dremel and open up a nice clean hole in the top of the head for the bell to sit in. Counter sink in 4 screw holes to mount the bell drive assembly. Then start assmbling the parts.

post-7-1240695067.jpg

post-7-1240695127.jpg

post-7-1240695189.jpg

post-7-1240695234.jpg

post-7-1240695277.jpg

And there you go. When I remeber my FTP pass word I will add a short video of the gyros in action. but for now pictures will have to do.

post-7-1240695684.jpg

post-7-1240695740.jpg

post-7-1240695793.jpg

John,

Awesome mods to Robby. I really like seeing the detailed operations. Wish I had a shop like yours!!!

• 1 month later...

OK. So when you gonna come over and upgrade my 1997 Robby, Mr. Rigg?? I'll take a new motorized Gyro and Lighted Sax Valves, if you please. Just say when and I'll leave the porch lights on for you... ;)

post-36-1244143935.jpg

How did I miss this post ??? John, You spun the bell !! I know the process but have never tried it. It takes some heavy duty hand held tools .

Archived