Dan Dare Rocket Gun

dratomic

Just snagged this great Dan Dare Rocket Gun (Merit, 1956). It's usually found in black. Less common is the silver version, and least common by far is this copper one.

The gun itself is based on U.S. Plastics' Space Patrol Rocket Dart gun, but the details stamped into the body and handle are different. None of the Space Patrol guns were ever officially released in metallic colors, either (though a couple color tests are known to exist).

post-124-1240553403.jpg

Just one beautifully designed gun, Brian. The copper is exceptional. I suspected you had something going with your other post on the auction. :D

VERY cool gun Doc! I wish my collection could be as specialized as yours. You'll have to clue us in on your Zen-focusing technique someday.

WOW! That is a gorgeous gun Doc! The Dan Dare stamping really pops as a variation of the more common Space Patrol version. Congrats!

I always wondered if there was some sort of film or TV show or some other pop culture event that inspired the all metallic look that seems to have been a phase or fad in the ray gun timeline. There seems to have been two schools - the primary colors (standard toy colors) and the monochromatic metallic colors, in some instances these two color schemes were used as variations of the same pressing. Since various toy makers did the metallic look I suspect there was some sort of outside influence - sort of like how Space 1999 changed the standard of what the future was supposed to look like - everything white.

I don't think it was anything as specific as that, Fin. The candy-colored Pyro came out in 1953, and it definitely preceded the copper-colored version. The red and black Space Patrol Rocket Dart guns came out in the early Fifties, too, preceding the Dan Dare Gun. I think that manufacturers were entering into the space gun world with the same color plastics used on previous toys. When science fiction really picked up by the mid Fifties on both TV and film, I suspect that manufacturers were convinced to go with more spacey colors -- the metallics -- and made the switch.

This isn't based on any real evidence, mind you. But I can't think of anything more specific than a general shift in kids' interests as being responsible for the color change.

Oh, the "all white" technology and aesthetic of the future was apparent before Space: 1999 (which aired in 1975). I think the most influential source for this design scheme would probably have been Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, which came out in 1968. But Star Trek, with its uncluttered, often almost stark-looking sets, got the ball rolling in 1966. And I think Star Wars hammered the point home -- even though it came out in 1977, two years after Space: 1999. I suspect it had a slightly greater influence... ;)

However, I won't deny that Space: 1999 played an important role in establishing the look.

Nice pickup Doc! I love the copper color. Never seen that version before. It seems a lot of the Dan Dare guns were near copies of space patrol guns. Do you think there were any licensing agreements? I know they are not exact copies but too close to be cooincidental.

Not licensing agreements -- at least, not between the property owners. More likely, U.S. Plastics sold the molds to Merit, who used them to fulfill their own licensing deals. We see it over and over -- Pyro sold the molds for their space ships, Renwal sold the molds for the Planet Jet, etc. etc. etc.

But I don't think there was any sort of deal between Space Patrol and Dan Dare (well, Eagle, actually).

Archived