Marx Prototype Ray Gun! (April Fool)

dratomic

Not much of a story, Joe. It was a great opportunity, and I'd have been a fool not to have jumped on it.

I'll post more details as soon as I'm able.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe, you asked for more details, so...

APRIL FOOLS!

Don't hate me... ;)

It really is my birthday, but everything else about the story is bunk. I pieced the "prototype" ray gun together from a variety of different ray guns -- see photo below for a break down of which bits came from where. I use Photo Shop to put it all together, and also to tweak the lighting, add color, and other little things in order to make it all more believable. Nonetheless, there are some serious Photo Shop errors, and I really thought some of you would have spotted them. (Andy, I really thought you'd call me out!)

Let me also say THANKS to Toymemories, who was in on the joke. I emailed him right before posting the picture and asked him if he'd throw his authority behind the gag. He put his own reputation on the line for a laugh, and I appreciate the assist. For the record, he spotted the fake a mile away. :)

Anyway, I wish it were all true -- I would be thrilled if a Marx prototype fell into my lap. Sadly, it's unlikely to ever happen. But rest assured, my pranking days are through. So if I ever do post something like this in the future, rest assured that it's 100% legit.

Thanks to everyone for giving me a bit of a chuckle on my birthday. :D

post-124-1238625610.jpg

One last thing... If anyone DOES feel like making a model of this ray gun, let me know -- I'd love to own one for real!

Happy birthday Brian! You're a PUTZ!! Got me too.. and I should know better.. I was ready to list it on my site, www.toyraygun.com Glad I read the thread to the end before I did!

Nice job on the photo... just before I read the post giving it away, I noticed the handle looked strangely familiar.. then I thought, hmm, that's the grip of the NuAge Smoke Ring gun.. DUH!

ROCKET -[O_O]-

I looked at it a couple minutes yesterday and then something bothered me. It was the alignment of the rear heat sink. It was off on the vertical axis. Plus the background wasn't typically the way you photograph your great finds. But I think you did a great job and let me add this. Does a real one have to be exactly like your composition ? ;) To the "T" ??

Oh yes. Happy Birthday Doc ! I'm going to miss seeing you guys this year.

post-545-1238732396.jpg

HAH! Double Dog April Fools on you, Doc! You really thought I believed you, didn't you? HA HA!

...um yeah.... :unsure:

Good one, Doc. Of course with my severe lack of vintage ray gun knowledge, I'm an easy mark. ;)

Archived