Marx Prototype Ray Gun! (April Fool)

dratomic

Okay, it arrived a day early. But I had to wait until my camera was charged to post the pictures, so it might as well have arrived on my birthday (which happens to be today, Wednesday).

One of a kind, never produced, Marx prototype ray gun. Not sure what to call it, not really sure when it was produced. I've been told that it's mid-Fifties, and I can certainly believe it. There are some obvious elements that appeared on other Marx guns, but they've been tweaked and repurposed -- I guess it was a convenient way to come up with a mock up before recasting the whole thing.

The toy is made from that blue resin stuff that Marx used for its prototypes, but it also features some red and black/dark gray spray paint. Not sure why, but I think it adds a little zing to the prototype, so I'm not complaining. No writing on the toy, no logos, nothing like that. It's also slightly rough around the edges -- again, as a prototype, I'm not surprised. I think the idea was to just get it out so that the execs (Lois Marx, maybe?) could see what the designers were talking about.

The guy who sold it to me was friends with the son of a Marx employee; the prototype got handed down from the son to the friend, and then ended up in my hands. Sadly, that's all I really know about the history... I'm emailing the seller, though, and I hope to have a little more info in the next day or so -- he's going to contact his friend to get as much info background as possible. I'll be sure to post whatever I discover.

Toymemories: Any thoughts?

Anyway... I really don't know what to say. I'm flying high right now, and can barely type. This is definitely the jewel of my collection! :)

post-124-1238571946.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes; nice find, Doc! Congratulations! ;)

I can't believe one got away from me <_<

Looks to me to possibly be Mahlon Hirsch's work (long time Marx designer), definitely unproduced... I'd be proud of it too!

Happy Birthday, Doc, and definitely a jewel! Can't think of a better guy to have it... :D

Now that's a cool gun Doc, it couldn't have fallen into the hands of a better collector! Is the trigger just for show or does the prototype actually do something? Clicker? Shoot sparks?

WOW!!

You did a good job of keeping this score a secret doc! Was this a buy it now? Was it an offer made directly to you? How did we all miss it?

What a perfect birthday present! Awe-Some!!!! Congratulations and happy birthday!!!!

Glad you like it, guys. Trigger doesn't do anything, I'm afraid. It's lose inside it's housing. Not super lose -- it stays in position, but it's not attached to any mechanism. Looking at it, I'd guess it'd be at least a clicker. There's room for batteries, so maybe they were going to make another flashlight gun. Dunno...

Decided to have a little fun with the new prototype... Mocked up this "ad page" that we might have seen in a catalogue if it had ever actually been produced. Personally, I think the gun looks great in black and white. :)

post-124-1238599112.jpg

Happy Birthday, Brian! Great score as unique as you can get. :D All the best (well, you've already done that with the new addition)!!

Decided to have a little fun with the new prototype... Mocked up this "ad page" that we might have seen in a catalogue if it had ever actually been produced. Personally, I think the gun looks great in black and white. :)

post-124-1238599112.jpg

SOLD! At that price I will take two. ;o)

JimK

Great get, Doc! There must be a good story behind this one, eh? Details, man, give us the details!

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!!

<_< 1 april is your birthday? happy birthday doc!!!! I know nothing about rayguns but wouldn't be surprised if the date of today is marked on the back of that gun :)

anyway, good story!

Archived