S G R Snatch & Grab Robot

robothut

Here is a conversion based on a junker Big Wheel robot. First I had to do something with those feet. The Wheel O Gear robots all ways looked to have these big Clown type feet, a perfect robot other wise. Well I turned them in to Turbine powered feet. Next I have been waiting for a robot conversion that would work with these small extending robot claw toys I had. So I took the mechanical metal part of the Wheel O gear and the top part of a junker Mr Mercury robot arm and built some metal and plastic parts so that I could connect the extending robot claws. The linkage I built worked great! Now instead the arms swinging back and forth the arms alternatly extend and retract as the claws open and close. The chest has to be changed as well. So two Photon guns alternatly light in the top of the chest as 4 pistons randomly flash below. The head features two glowing vacume tube type eyes and the flashing mouth from the wheel O gear head. I left in the origional machine clicking sound. The robot still operates with the D cells in the back.

Here are links for a short video of the action. the first link is for a compressed video size of 380K the second is non compressed at 1 meg. also here is a link for a page I put up on the project on my site.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/SGRmovie.WMV

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/SGRmovie1.WMV

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/SGRpage.html

the videos are Windows media files.

post-7-1237309859.jpg

post-7-1237309893.jpg

post-7-1237309918.jpg

post-7-1237309941.jpg

post-7-1237309975.jpg

post-7-1237309997.jpg

post-7-1237310021.jpg

post-7-1237310042.jpg

Here are two build pictures of the arms assemblies from the back side. You can see how the crank controls the arm extention and claw funtions.

post-7-1237310368.jpg

post-7-1237310401.jpg

John, I like the Kirby boots and the eyes !! I'm having a hard time understanding the mechanism for the arms. Is it just a walking beam that runs down to the forearms ??? Or is it more complicated than that ? Nice to see the factory is open again.

This picture is of the toy extendo claws, I found 3 colors when I bought mine months ago, have not seen the toys again since, glad I had bought two extra with this robot project in mind. Basicly there is a push button on the body of the handle. I drilled in to this push button so I could secure a stiff wire push / pull rod. This rod then connects to a lever on the inside of the arm that is controled by the lever that the robot leg mechanics move.

post-7-1237335105.jpg

John, you obviously don't need my input but I'll say it anyway...you've outdone yourself again. OF COURSE!!!

I've often wondered about those 'clown' feet on those guys. How did Darryl get around that? :blink:

That is one wild looking robot, John!

(Oh, and I agree about the feet on those robots... too clown-like! They always turned me off... yours are definitely an improvement!)

It always amazes me that you never seem to run out of new ideas John! Any one of your creations would give Comet Toys enough variations to make a years worth of Robots!

Excellent Job!

Glad that you guys like it. I was afraid that the bulging eyes might turn a few of you off, I had other head idea that I could have used. The main thing was to get the arm / claw animation working and on a robot.

Glad that you guys like it. I was afraid that the bulging eyes might turn a few of you off, I had other head idea that I could have used. The main thing was to get the arm / claw animation working and on a robot.

superb conversion, i saw some of those claws recently, i must admit i did think of doing something with them, in the end i had to leave them alone i have far to much junk at the moment.:)

• 4 weeks later...

John, this robot looks fantastic, I especially like the eyes and the feet (no, I am not a fetishist for that !).

How did you create the feet, are any pictures of the creation steps available ?

What are the eyes bulbs made of ?

Archived