A New Rocket Addition

JimK

Hey Gang,

I just got this Mercury Rocket bank from EBAY. I know that it is a little rough and needs a new spring but I think that it is very cool anyway. I am thinking of painting it since all of the finish is gone already. Should be fun. Do you guys think that it would be OK to put this in a bead blaster for clean up? The metal sees to be solid enough to me. Also I am including a picture of the alien sculpture that I made a while back

JimK

post-769-1236873367.jpg

post-769-1236873378.jpg

post-769-1236873513.jpg

post-769-1236873522.jpg

I wouldn't recommend the bead blaster on the rocket bank. Those type of banks were made out of "white metal" or as some call it "pot metal". This stuff gets very brittle over time and I don't think it would survive the bead blaster.

pot metal

Put baking soda in your sand blaster. But know this . If there is any plating left on the toy, the abrasive will not take it off. It will erode the base metal. This stuff is horrible to work with.

I like that rocket. Is that the pilot, sitting in the back there? How can he possibly see to fly the thing. :lol:

Thanks for the replys everyone. I am very glad that I asked first. I was going to blast it last night but after reading the warnings decided to take the sound advice and not blast it. I am going to pick up a brass wire brush this weekend to clean it up. I did fix the spring last night and now it works as good as new.

Eagle, Thanks for the baking soda idea, I will have to try that on another project.

Phase Pistol, I am not sure if that is a pilot or a rear gunner.

Phil, your rocket is seriously cool and the box is something that I have never seen before. Mine is also missing the coin plug on the bottom. I am just going to use a rubber stopper I guess on that.

JimK

Jim, I don't have that bank in the box. It's a photo in my files. I do have others including this cool atomic bank. :)

Phil,

WOW, that is awesome. I would love to have one of those. If it is made out of the same white metal that mine is made of it must be very rare. After reading that link Andy gave about the white metal it is a wonder any of this stuff survived intact. Is the rocket fixed in place or does it swivel for a higher degree of difficulty? Thanks for posting that.

JimK

Archived