New Buck Rogers

Phil R

Most Alphadromers know I'm a Buck Rogers fan, not necessarily the TV series. Flint Dille, grandson of the creator, has been busy promoting the character by licensing figures from the 30s and 50s as well as reprints of the classic comics. Next up is the introductory 25 cent comic book in May from Dynamite. By the look it appears the character is more of a slick super hero type. Guess I'll have to reserve judgment.

In addition, James Cawley, who produces the Star Trek web series, will be producing a Buck Rogers web series. As you know, Buster Crabbe played both Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers in the classic serials. Now we have two pencil-neck look-alikes playing Flash and now Buck in the updates. What am I missing? Are these web productions any good or do they improve on a learning curve? Comments? ;)

BUCK ROGERS WEB LINK

post-221-1236694133.jpg

The one Star Trek: Phase II production I watched was well executed and managed to match the look and tone of the original TV series. The acting was a bit....shakey from some of the cast but the production values were good, so I'm willing to give their Buck Rogers a chance. I'm not excited over Frank Miller's big-screen adaptation. If that is even a "go" now after "The Spirit" bombed.

I would love to see a new "Flash Gordon" movie done RIGHT and with this guy working on the production design.

I assume you didn't care for the Sci-Fi Channel FG series?

Tim L.

Never mention the sci-fi channel's version of Flash Gordon in my presence. :angry2:

(I'm joking... except I'm not. It was so terrible, just thinking about it makes my eyeballs bleed.)

Never mention the sci-fi channel's version of Flash Gordon in my presence. :angry2:

(I'm joking... except I'm not. It was so terrible, just thinking about it makes my eyeballs bleed.)

:D

Sorry! I usually referred to it as Sliders FG:1! I didn't care for it myself. I think the phrase I used was "so bad I think it gave me a brain tumor" when asked about it.

As to the Flash Gordon TV series, as with other series, usually some of the supporting characters make more of an impression. I attest that to an irony that these characters often are more interesting, hence the actor has more to work with. Flash and Ming were two of the weaker characters. I actually liked how they interpreted some of the planetary residents in a more human way. Hawkmen, etc are pretty unrealistic. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

here's an update of the Buck Rogers comic cover art by John Cassaday and Alex Ross. Love the use of the vintage raygun in the Ross art. A poster of that would be super. 😄

post-221-1238818867.jpg

post-221-1238818890.jpgBuck01CassadayCov_1.jpgbuckrogers1ross.jpg

Archived