Forbidden Planet Blaster Repro

Joe K.

That's really cool... but also really expensive. I'd love to own one, but not for that kind of cash. I'd rather have a vintage toy, I think.

Still, I like it a lot. Now, if only someone would release it in greater numbers and at a lower price point.

Not bad. I see a few issues, such as the matte look of the OTTI (real prop is a bit metallic), the top fins on the OTTI seem to lack the high curves of the real prop (tho this might be accurate to a different prop)... also the silver strip on the middle of the OTTI body seems too wide. The rim of the endcap of the OTTI seems wrong.

ottivsscrnusedvsbarton.jpg

Nice comparison photos, Karl.

Although, the individual in photo #3 may want to attend a firearms safety refresher course! :D

and...it does come with a VERY nice suitcase!! :P :P

Barton had a big display at Worldcon 2006. I shot a bunch of photos while he was demoing the blaster for Rich Coyle, who also happened to be there.

bartonblaster.jpg

Here's my FP blaster and LIS laser pistol-second season. My blaster is signed by Warren Stevens, just like Fred's, and my laser pistol is signed by Mark Goddard. I mounted both with a photo of the signer. Jimmiesparks and I were talking of starting a thread of signed stuff....I have lots of models and robots signed by 60's TV stars....

Anyway 1300 bucks is a pretty big chunk of change to pay for a blaster. How much of that is for the camera case it comes in? That Richard Coyle one looks nice with the obviously turned clear shaft and real brass parts, so I'd be tempted to go that route. But mine don't look too shabby either, and here's the total:

2 rayguns @ about a hundred bucks each found at shows already built (and often on ebay for similar prices)....

4 signatures at 20 bucks a pop.

2 custom plexi cases at 125 bucks each = 530 bucks for both mounted and on the wall.

post-704-1236042538.jpg

post-704-1236042600.jpg

Archived