1953 - Electronic Walkie Talkies, By Remco

dratomic

Two sets of electronic walkie talkies by Remco, found by Joe K., previously unknown to the timeline. I've got both sets and can get to the details close up, so I figured I'd add a timeline entry for once. :)

Both were found in a 1953 Toytime Christmas catalog. Here are pics of the cover and appropriate page:

post-124-1234278621.jpg

post-124-1234278518.jpg

Note that both sets are patent number 2,536, 179, which I'm assuming refers to the magnetic walkie-talkie technology that Remco used...

1. The first set, on the left, is the Space Model QX-2 Electroic Walkie Talkie set. The box has the following information printed on it:

* 2 Electronic phones

* Complete with wires

* A real 2-way telephone system

* No batteries needed

* Permanent magnetic power

* Ready to operate

It comes with a Squadreon QX-2 membership card that doubles as a set of instructions. It's die-cut in the shape of a rocket (making it the coolest instruction sheet ever). On the card is the Remco address: Remco Industries (Squadron QX-2) 1197 McCarter Highway, Newark 2, N.J.

2. The second set is the 2 Way Remco Electronic Magnet Powered Walkie Talkie. The box features space men and stuff, but there's no other writing besides the patent number.

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the photo assist!

I did go back into your post and "tweak" it a bit. Those walkie-talkies were spotted in a Toytime catalog. The Beekman trade ad had the space helmet from the initial timeline thread.

It would really be nice if you could add photos of these pieces from your collection. When you find the time. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And here's confirmation of the third set of Remco Walkie Talkies as being from 1953, too. Pretty interesting that they'd release three different models all in the same year.

post-124-1239067342.jpg