Zombie Hotrod Flying Saucer

amoebaboy

hi alphadromers haven't posted for a while, got a new job no spare time blah blah blah.

anyhow heres the latest effort from the chaotic junk filled world of amoeba, saucer x4, x4 being the fourth one ive built, bin a long time coming this one, started it ages ago but only just finished it

the saucer body and fins are hand beaten steel,it has a few brass doodads, and cut down tv antennas for landing struts.

the perspex dome comes from a vile fluid / po puri filled condiment jar bought in a local pound shop.

the cockpit and pilot are sculpted from milliput epoxy putty.

its chock full of led's activated by a small toggle switch in the moony base stand, when switched on there is brief period of twirly cycling red light in the cockpit floor and the dome on the underside, the guns also flash via fibre optics.

the red flashing light slows and stops leaving the two tail lights a white cockit light near the floor and a green halo inside the zombie pilot helmet.

the finishing touch genuine 1960 ford consul emblem from a car i restored in the late eighties

you can see a bit more of the lighting effects and general construction over on my blog.

http://amoebaboy.blogspot.com/

post-699-1233011790.jpg

post-699-1233011804.jpg

post-699-1233011818.jpg

post-699-1233011933.jpg

You build the sweetest Saucers in this quadrant !! :D I'm not slacking off. I am finishing up the Photon gun tonight complete with sound and light effects. Also a long time coming. I think we need a couple Rat Fink Saucers.... :blink:

Fantastic saucer, AB! Love the detail, design and the little alien driver(pilot). It appears you did a great job on weight distribution. Is the saucer on an additional round surface as well as the perspective moon? Do you mask the blocks for painting? I seem to remember this saucer in one of your concept drawings previously. I always ask a lot of questions. :D

Fantastic saucer, AB! Love the detail, design and the little alien driver(pilot). It appears you did a great job on weight distribution. Is the saucer on an additional round surface as well as the perspective moon? Do you mask the blocks for painting? I seem to remember this saucer in one of your concept drawings previously. I always ask a lot of questions. :D

now where do i start... the saucer is connected to the stand via a brass rod soldered into the underside of the saucer, inside that rod is a hollow fiberglass core for extra strength the wires to power the leds run through this, the moon base is situated more or less directly under the saucer so it balances perfectly.

the moon stand is a stainless steel hemisphere with details sculpted over the top in milliput, the batteries for the leds sit inside the base.

for the paint job i used masking tape but only as a guide line, i used to do traditional sign painting, old habits die hard so its good old brush work all the way for me.

i suppose it has elements of all of those saucer concept drawings, i never have a hard and fast idea of how things are gonna turn out, i tried many different color schemes on this via photo shop and stripped and repainted the whole thing twice before i settled on it.

post-699-1233099301.gif

little anim to make things clearer

BTW-I just noticed...what a horrible way to treat your Wacom tablet! ;)

it looks a lot worse on real life :) but it still works perfectly the stylus is looking a little shabby the rubber grippy part has gone all brittle and bits are falling off.

Archived