Le French Ray Gun, C'est Magnifique!

Rocket

Howdy all, it's been a while.. no time to even lurk, but when I picked up this killer ray gun the other day, I thought it was time to share.

This beauty is a French gun in chrome plated plastic. It is quite large for a toy, and is also quite fragile. I'm surprised it's lasted this long and not broken, or the chrome peeled or discolored. It's a simple clicker gun apparently made by a company called Anselme, but it's not marked at all. It was available both individually and as a set which included a "Galaxie" helmet and space costume. (Would LOVE to find those!!)

I've been on the hunt for one of these for many years, but have never been able to find one. This one fell into my lap; I was offered some common tin litho guns, but spied the tip of the chrome barrel in the corner of the photo and recognized it immediately. I asked if it was available, and the seller said yes... he didn't offer it because he didn't think I would be interested because it was plastic!

On another note the All American Collector's show (the Glendale toy show) out here in Los Angeles was last weekend... it was pretty well attended, both with dealers and attendees, but for the first time in a while I did not hear a single story of anything interesting showing up. ;o( My sales were OK however - I sold my orange Paya robot in box, a killer kids space suite and helmet, and assorted ray guns. At least the shows are alive and well in this dreadful economy.

Happy New Year to all!

ROCKET -[O_O]-

post-177-1232873258.jpg

post-177-1232873290.jpg

post-177-1232873317.jpg

My apologies! I just saw that there is a whole section just for Ray Guns.. shows how often I visit the 'drome... SORRY!

ROCKET -[O_O]-

Very cool ray gun, Rocket. Nice score!

btw-you can post anything in "Robot Talk" as Brian will sort it to it's appropriate category later when the post loses steam.

Awesome gun, Rocket! :)

It's also good to hear that the shows are still alive and kicking (relatively speaking, I guess). Do you have any photos, by any chance?

Wow. Awesome find! I've seen that one in Ray Gun but always thought of it as a smaller gun for some reason. Looks mint mint mint!!

Rocket,

Really nice gun. I also have looked at the pic of that gun in RAY GUN and thought it would look good on my raygun wall. Congrats on a great pickup.

Thanks ya'll... Sorry, no pix of the Glendale Toy show, I was too busy manning the table to get photos this time. I will be sure to get them next time for everyone.

ROCKET -[O_O]-

• 3 months later...

Thanks ya'll... Sorry, no pix of the Glendale Toy show, I was too busy manning the table to get photos this time. I will be sure to get them next time for everyone.

ROCKET -[O_O]-

Rocket,

Yeah it's pretty cool isn't it? I bought mine about 8 years ago...can't remember where though, probably Ebay, where else. Here's a photo of mine, far left on the shelf.

post-656-1243325415.jpg

Anyway, its very imaginative and chrome plated, I LOVE CHROME! I did not know it was offered as a set, a nice tidbit that, thanks!

For the little story...

Between 1950 and 1970, the French toy market was not seriously concerned by robots. On French people mind, it was too expensive, and looking to fragile (here people don't like what stop working after few manipulations...). So other toys were prefered, like plastic and die-cast cars, futuristic space ships, and of course guns (from far west to really far far galaxies).

That may explain why there are here so much vintage gun toys and a little reasonable presence of wind-up/battery powered robots. The market changed after 70's, with the plastic automated toys offered at some fair prices. Some kind of "use & trash" attitude appeared since those large quantity made robots were generally not really interesting, since made as mass products.

The 80's had a new breath, the biggest, on the robot market with the national popularity of Goldorak ; you'll better recognize him under Grendizer name. This opened the door to a new generation of robot toys here : the chogokins...

Archived