Martian Blaster

Andyman

Finally put the Martian Blaster to bed. The whole thing is centered around a plated cylinder from a copy machine. It has a few dings and scratches in it and I debated repainting it but in the end I decided I like the original color too much. Since I present these ray guns as decommissioned "relics" I figured it looked used. Other parts includ another one of my late grandpa's vintage flashlights, hard drive platters, chrome handles and a computer fan grill.

post-231-1232759018.jpg

post-231-1232759028.jpg

post-231-1232759037.jpg

I did a slick thing with the stand I made for it. It works both as a tabletop display or a wall mount.

post-231-1232759045.jpg

And here's a sneak preview of the Leviton Vaporizer. It's pretty much done. I just have to figure out a stand for it. Enjoy!

post-231-1232759255.jpgMB_2_sm.jpgMB_3_sm.jpgMB_4_sm.jpgMB_6_sm.jpgLV_preview_3_sm.jpgLV_preview_2_sm.jpg

post-231-1232759263.jpg

Somehow missed this... But andy's crying brought it to my attention. ;)

These are actually great guns, and the stand for the Martian blaster looks fantastic. As always, I'm completely blown away by your creations. And yes, that pun was intentional -- an in honor of the sculptures' creator. :D

*sniff* You're the best, Doc. ;)

BTW-I wasn't crying. There was something in my eye. See? ;) That's not me winking, it's really something in my eye. ;) Honest! ;)

Yeah,, how did I skip this one. I'd say the blaster is complete !! Everything looks just right,,,,,,but now it's time for a little critique on the leviton. I like this gun the best ! ;) However, everything flows until you get to the grip. To me it just departs from the rest of the gun. It seems like it should have more mass on the grip. A little tweaking and it would be right on. I think your best gun yet. I picked up some big beautiful Curtain rods from Home Depot on Saturday. I get home and Teonia falls in love with it. What room are we going to hang these ???? What ??? Hang them. Look at those glass firing chambers. These are Ray gun barrels !! Oh yeah, don't touch those Martha Stewart salt and pepper shakers either. Those are anti-matter pods. No that's not a new track light,,,,,it's a rocket nozzle. B)

Yeah,, how did I skip this one. I'd say the blaster is complete !! Everything looks just right,,,,,,but now it's time for a little critique on the leviton. I like this gun the best ! ;) However, everything flows until you get to the grip. To me it just departs from the rest of the gun. It seems like it should have more mass on the grip. A little tweaking and it would be right on. I think your best gun yet. I picked up some big beautiful Curtain rods from Home Depot on Saturday. I get home and Teonia falls in love with it. What room are we going to hang these ???? What ??? Hang them. Look at those glass firing chambers. These are Ray gun barrels !! Oh yeah, don't touch those Martha Stewart salt and pepper shakers either. Those are anti-matter pods. No that's not a new track light,,,,,it's a rocket nozzle. B)

*runs away crying*

:P

Seriously Mark, I understand your point but the grip is a battle between form and function. I struggled with the trigger mechanism for quite a long time. I was trying to figure out a way to add some mass to the handle and at the same time hide the spring. I finally realized that the spring was already expanding the handle in a steampunk minimalist sort of fashion and decided that I really like it as is. It does fit comfortably in your hand.

BTW-the stand turned out great. I'll post pics in a bit.

Great work Andy,,,,,,,,See crying does work! :D

Now onto this trigger thing,,seeing as Mark mentioned it [and as he is a fellow artist I guess he has the right too critique]

Well antway now he's bought it our attention it is the weakist point on what is potentually your best ray gun yet,so for what it's worth here are my suggestions,,,,,,,Perhaps a guard around the trigger and also something a little bit more fancy at the actual finger point of the trigger.

Now tell me where to stick my suggestion unless you really want me as your design consultant :o ;)

Archived