Ufo Saucer

Phil R

I just got this UFO battery op bump-n-go 7-1/2" plastic saucer I bought buy-it-now from ebay. It's mint in box with an interesting box design. The saucer was cheaply made and has a rubber band inside to rotate the dome color disk. Also the ring stripes are paper . The back has an antenna and a slot with on-off but the design must have been changed because the on-off switch is underneath. The slot seem to have no function. The blue round decal with an A also says NASA. Also a US flag decal. Made in Hong Kong and a T in a circle No. 355 symbol for manufacturer. Does anyone know when it was made? ;)

post-221-1227560258.jpg

Nice saucer, Phil.

If the "T in a circle" logo is the same as this one here (at the bottom of the page):

that would I.D. the manufacturer as the Tai Hing Metal & Plasticware Fty. Ltd.

and date it from the late '70s/early '80s.

I'll double check those Hong Kong Toys catalogs, but I don't, off hand, remember seeing this particular saucer in any of them.

Cool saucer Phil. There are many variations of this one. My Moon Ranger Mercury Mark IV is only marked Hong Kong on the box but the saucer itself has the T in a circle logo. The strip of metallic paper across the dome is a feature I've only see on this particular example so far. And this version does use the slot on top for the switch as you can see.

This old thread has a few pics of variations on this saucer, in fact Xris posted an example exactly like mine but without the metallic strip on the dome.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...;hl=moon+ranger

post-143-1227819006.jpg

Don, I can't figure out the little knobs instead of the label. also the antenna seems to be hinged instead of the rod. Interesting variations. ;)

Archived